Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust/Muffler making some noies

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 01:01 PM
1st Gear
Default Exhaust/Muffler making some noies

Hey guys,
When i start my (99 2.8 Q) in the morning, after being parked on a slight downward incline, i hear some rattling/clanking (although minor) noise and I also some shaking/vibration of the exhaust/muffler (THE END WHOLE EXHAUST SYSTEM).
It is not shaking like crazy but somewhat (minor) like you can tell if you see it.

Also, once i start the car in the morning (it has been cold here in Toronto at night) after about 30 seconds I see WHITE (NOT BLUE) smoke come out of the car, looks thick like a CLOUD, but then it decreases to like "NORMAL" (if there is such a thing as normal) exhaust fumes.

Just wondering if this shows signs that it is time for a new exhaust? And what does the white cloud of smoke mean?

Thanks guys...really looking for your input...

Old 03-17-2005, 01:07 PM
Default RE: Exhaust/Muffler making some noies

about the exhaust rattle you might have a hanger bushing that is wearing out causing the exhaust to rattle against the heatshield but with out hearing it it would be hard to determine

as for theb white smoke this is normal just condensation all cars have this no worries

Old 03-17-2005, 05:09 PM
2nd Gear

owdi, my car makes a similar noise. whenever i start it after it's been sitting for over an hour, i hear an internal rattling sound. i'm pretty sure it's coming from my muffler. it starts somewhat slow and then speeds up until it goes away after 30 seconds or so. and whenever i decelerate i get a loud popping sound. i'm pretty sure it's the muffler.

Old 03-17-2005, 05:16 PM
1st Gear

I dont hear it internally, while i am in the driver seat. Only when i stand outside the car (behind it...to check stuff out) i hear it. I dont get the "popping" sound either. However, I would like some more input on this. Thanks for the replies CLC and BFLan..

Old 03-17-2005, 05:28 PM

is the muffler loose ? when the car is cold can u shake the muffler around at all ? its just something notb to common to see on these cars hey look at it this way its a good reason to get some performance exhaust

Old 03-17-2005, 06:15 PM
2nd Gear

owdi, by internally i mean the sound isn't something rattling on the outside of the car. but rather something inside the exhaust. i am able to hear mine when i'm sitting in my car though, so we may have different problems (or yours may just not be as severe). cl's right, it's a good excuse to get yourself a nice performance exhaust. or if you don't have that kind of money you can just replace your stock muffler with a high flow one.

Old 03-17-2005, 07:34 PM
1st Gear

I WOULD LOOOOOOVVVVVVVVEEEEEEE to get a performance exhaust. However, I do not want something that is LOUD AT ALL. I would like the sound to be like my STOCK exhaust system, however with MORE added power. I dont know if anything like that exsists. I hope so, does it? I heard BORLA exhaust systems are really nice, but are they LOUD, I HATE even a hint of noise. I want my car to soudn stock. I want my car to look classy and sound classy. The only other mods I am going to do on my ride is:

1. S4 Body Kit (S4 Side Skirts, S4 rear bumper and RS4 grill and front bumper). I want my ride to look like AUDI intended it to look like taht. Front bumper having Xenon Fog lights.

2. Brake kit.
3. H&R Coil overs to drop the car JUST A BIT, I mean only a bit.
4. SOME RIMS WITH LOW PROFILE TIRES.
5. XENON one piece headlights & Clear side markers

That is it...well only other mods that add power to my ride, however dont change the look from any stock look and dont change the sound...

Old 03-17-2005, 07:40 PM

hey I don't see a PES S/C in that list

Old 03-17-2005, 07:43 PM
2nd Gear

any full system you get is going to be consiberably louder than stock. even a high flow muffler will sound a little bit louder, but not much.

Old 03-17-2005, 11:44 PM
1st Gear

yeah as long as it is not OVER the top or really ricy...

Quick Reply: Exhaust/Muffler making some noies