Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

external wastegate?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 04:28 AM
2nd Gear
Default external wastegate?

could i run that with the k03 and not **** off the computer and could i even get one? they make everything sound so mean, venting to the atmosphere and all

Old 01-03-2007, 04:30 AM
Site Moderator
Default RE: external wastegate?

I dont think so man... At least not with the k03... With a BT you could but then youd have to gostand alone i think.

Old 01-03-2007, 04:33 AM
Site Moderator

uh... wastegates aren't meant to vent to the atmosphere. I'm pretty sure you're reffering to a bov.

Old 01-03-2007, 04:40 AM
Site Moderator

I was gunna say "get a BOV" but that goes against all that I stand for in life....

Old 01-03-2007, 04:42 AM
5th Gear

you could run one but you would have to have a custom mani made, and they really shouldnt vent to atmosphere but they do make a nice sound

Old 01-03-2007, 04:45 AM
2nd Gear

mmkay. and no i dont mean BOV. its almsot like having a cutout when ur under full boost or the boost is being cut. it jsut sounds so much mroe mean. i hella wanna get a cutout but my dad would never go for it. and i really dont feel like cutting into a $700 exaust

Old 01-03-2007, 07:48 AM

honestly have no idea, where even to start with some kind of "waste gate" through the hot side (exhaust system)....

keep us updated...

good luck!
(Edit = not too smart, sorry)

Old 01-03-2007, 07:57 AM
1st Gear

External gates normally vent atmospherically, unless you get it plumbed back into your dp.
Internal gates are part of the turbo's exh. housing and normally just go back into your exh. system.

The big question would be, does the K03 have a hot side that can swapped out so you can gate externally?

If so, I don't see how it'd **** off your computer, unless you're worried about the lack of exh. gasses not hittin the O2? But woudlnt' that theoretically be at WOT, which is closed-loop as far as the O2 is concerned (?) ... Either way, I don't think it'd have any effect on your system by going w/ an ext. gate.

If you do go w/ an external gate, plumb it down beside your dp so you don't get un-necessary hot (read: HELLA HOT) gasses in your eng. bay.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:55 AM

ORIGINAL: BaconBait

uh... wastegates aren't meant to vent to the atmosphere. I'm pretty sure you're reffering to a bov.
internal wastegates are not meant to vent to the atmosphere. external wastegates, which are what the original poster is talking about, can either be vented to the atmosphere with a dump pipe, or back into the downpipe. porsche use external wastegates on their turbo setups I believe, and most BT setups use external wastegates. atmospherically vented wastegates sound like *** though, for what it's worth.

Old 01-03-2007, 03:56 PM
Zombie Defense Force

yes it is possible to do. you have to get a new manifold that will hook up a external wg and to a ko3 turbo. then you weld the internal wg of the ko3 shut and then you can run the external wg. point less tho

Quick Reply: external wastegate?