Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Failed Shifter install

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 04:14 AM
Default Failed Shifter install

I attempted to install my B&M short shifter today and it didnt go well. I got off to a good start but then uit said to remove a shifter cover that wasnt in my car and said "Some vechile require center console removal". So i say screw that and go on, at the next step i remove a few bolts and try to lift this cover plate out and it doenst come out so after a couple mins of trying to get it outr i finally squeeze it out. So i go to the next step (like step 9) and it says to remove these four bolts. I see 2 of them and then ntic ethe other 2 are like an inch back to where i csant reach them. So i try using a flat wrench as suggested but i had no space to move and what would happen if i dropped the screw and how would i get the blot back on later. So i struugle for like 10 mins and relize taht i need to be able to get at it from above. So i curse and screw for liek 10 mins and then reassemble everything an dget it back to stock. What do i do to get this ***** istalled? How do i get the damn console out? I bet its hard, should i just pay some overpaid a$$hole taht will charge me over a 100 to do it?

Old 07-21-2005, 01:50 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Failed Shifter install

Why didn;t you search? Its in the tech section, man. I wrote it cuz I got sick of answering this wuestion. LOL
It's for a tiptronic, but the method is the same. You shoudl only do the rear section - no need to move on to the radio removing part.

Tech Section - Removing Center Console

Old 07-21-2005, 03:40 PM
3rd Gear

I know, those screws under the console are a huge pain in the ***. Unscrewing and re-screwing those probably took a full hour of my two-hour install time. I don't have any advice except to just do as the instructions say with the socket wrench and get one of those cool grabbers in case you drop one down into that box. It's just a claw with a spring-loaded top button, and it can reach down there and grab screws or nuts you could never hope to get by yourself.

Just try it again, and be prepared to take a good long time. Good luck.

Old 07-21-2005, 03:47 PM
Site Moderator

Why is everyone finding the console (the rear is all you need to pull for this) such a pita?
I have done it at least 2 dozen times; it takes me about 15 minutes to pull it.

Old 07-21-2005, 04:05 PM

brr on that section i only need to do the rear console section right? Doesnt sound so bad and i had the 2 on the driver and passeneger side off just didnt know of the other ones.

Old 07-21-2005, 04:07 PM
Site Moderator

yeah just the section with the hand brake. That will give you all the room in thew world to work with.
Sometimes the little tab you need to release on the handbrake cover can be a bitch, just get
down and size it up and yuo will get it.

Old 07-21-2005, 04:09 PM

Hand brake:
You need to remove the hand brake cover. On the handle, underneath, there should be a small button/clip that needs to be unfastened. Then you should be able to pull the hand section off. Then pull up on the brake and remove the larger rear section.

Rear Console section:
There are 5 bolts/nuts that need to be removed.
1. On the console wall by your knee (just next to the edge of the seat) is a small cover/plug. Behind this is a bolt that needs to be removed. There is one on both the driver's and passenger's side.
2. Remove the cover that normally flips over the rear ashtray (the very back of the console). Inside there are two nuts that need to be removed. (there is a third nut that you SHOULD NOT remove - it is obvious which one)
3. Remove the cupholder under the armrest (or the phone plug cover in other models). The cupholder just pulls out with some force. Here is one last nut you need to remove.

Now you should be able to lift the rear of the console up, pivoting at the joint between rear and front sections, and then pull apart. There are a couple plugs (ie. hand brake sensor) that will need to be released before it completely pulls away.

just this?

anything hard i should be ready for? HOw hard is it to put it back in?

Old 07-21-2005, 04:17 PM
Site Moderator

OH god damn... wait.
you have the old style car right? not the one with the separate section around the shifter.

Man - my apologies (im frazzled tat work here)
You will need to remove the whole console since that section is what goes around the shift mechanism.

Even that is not hard - you just need to be able to remove the radio which is not a simple task. **** I am sprry man - I was not thinking straight.

You need to get it to this point (but you can't without getting the radio out first)

Old 07-21-2005, 05:19 PM
4th Gear

I did that install in like a hr, just follow the directions, its not rocket science.

Old 07-21-2005, 08:50 PM

there are no instructions to remove the center console. Since i dont have that plate to remove it just says that some vechiles may require removal of the center console.

brrman yes i ahve the old style. Does that mean the DIY thread wont help me?

Quick Reply: Failed Shifter install