Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feedback needed, according to Consumer Reports

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 02:06 PM
Default Feedback needed, according to Consumer Reports

I'm looking to get an A4 B6 model, either 1.8 or 3.0
I'd like to get some feedback from the forum members on the B6 model of the A4.
According to Consumer Reports, there are a few areas that this car has fallen below average so I'd like to get your feedback including the following:

-engine (this is too broad, but what are some common problems you guys see? like turbo failure on1.8t)
-fuel
-ignition
-electrical
-power equipment (problems with which features? climate control, instrument panel, power seats, power mirror?)

Would you guys agree that the A4 has some fault on these areas? Any common problems?

Any feedback is appreciated, I'm really looking to purchase one soon so I'd like your guy's opinion.

Old 07-07-2007, 03:58 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Feedback needed, according to Consumer Reports

the "engine" just requires good maintenance. keep on top of things and it should always run nice. Dont boost the turbo past its limits (around 18psi, spikes at 20 every now and than) and do oil changes every 2500 miles with fully synthetic, royal purple is a good choice.

as far as electrical, the window motors are known to cause problems in some cases, but not all, the led lights in the gauge cluster tends to go out around 90k miles, give or take a few miles each way.

as far as ignition, the coil packs blow all the time, lol. well, not really all the time but ive seen more horror stories about coil packs than any other thing on these forums, its a very easy thing to fix and the cost is nothing, but it will freak you out when it happens lol.

the electrical equipment has never failed on me, like i said the window regulators tend to ef up every now and than, but im on my second audi and my first one was at 107,000 and this one is at 75k miles and my windows have been perfect.... A HUGE FACTOR IN DETERMINING YOUR WINDOW LIFE is to make sure when you wanna roll it back up, make sure its all the way down, so in other words dont have the window half way down and than roll it up... make sure if its half way up you roll it all the way down first and than roll it up... trust me.

good luck, keep us posted.. you better get a Q-M (quattro, manual)

Old 07-07-2007, 08:25 PM
Default RE: Feedback needed, according to Consumer Reports

AteUrV8 Thanks for the informative reply!
That gives me a good idea on what to expect, I would like to get an auto though, but you think manual is the way to go? I already have a manual transmission car and I'd like to just be "lazy" with this car. I've also been planning to get a chip from giac or apr for it when I do get the car, but I'm not sure if they have a chip available for the auto?