Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Few fixes you should all know about

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 11:15 PM
1st Gear
Default Few fixes you should all know about

Recently I have had two issues with my car.

First my shifting hasn’t been that great and was rather harsh when accelerating fast. Do note I have an automatic and not a manual tranny. To resolve the issue I had my local shop flush my tranny fluid. I would of done it myself but you need a vagcom to read the level of fluid. Its now shifting smooth as silk and made a huge difference. I had 94k miles on the car and even though Audi says I should never have to replace it, damn it needed it and im glad I did.

Second is my fuel filter, its one of those things you sometimes just forget about but is really important. I started getting a noise from the fuel pump a few weeks ago (constant buzzing sound from the rear tank side of the car). I finally got around to replacing the fuel filter last weekend which I found out had not been replaced in a very long time (im not the original owner of my car, so cant guess how many miles). The thing was so clogged I don’t understand how the pump even got fuel to my engine. Well needless to say I now need to replace the fuel pump because just replacing the filter didn’t resolve the issue. I cant express enough how important it is to keep up on the fuel filter replacement because its going to cost me a lot more now to get this resolved.

Hopefully posting my mistakes and findings help you all save some money and effort at some point of time.

Old 06-29-2006, 11:38 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Few fixes you should all know about

Fuel filter replacement is important, thats the next thing on the repair list after the clutch, and spark plugs, the fuel filter in my Land Rover was only replaced once at 65k, my parents forgot about it, and finnally I got around and replaced it, the thing was filled with black mud. Just goes to show how much sediment there is in the gasoline station fuel tanks. Dont ever fill up your car with a tanker there.

Old 06-29-2006, 11:41 PM
4th Gear

Thanks for the heads up, I just bought a new filter today with the same intent since I'm not the original owner.

Old 06-30-2006, 06:07 AM
1st Gear

Damn thanks for posting this, i just got the car with 133XXX miles on it and i totally forgot about the fuel filter. Thanks!!!

Old 06-30-2006, 11:18 AM
2nd Gear

Anyone have an idea how to change the filter? I tried to change the filter on my 3000GT, but even using an
impact wrench the nuts wouldnt come off. I was afraid of fuel spraying everywhere, so i said F it and quit.

Old 06-30-2006, 11:37 AM
1st Gear

I'm in the same boat. My fuel pump was replaced under recall last week. I thought my buzzing sound coming from the rear was that thing going bad, but it was the fuel filter. Planning on changing that this weekend.

Old 06-30-2006, 11:43 AM
3rd Gear

anyone have or know of a DIY for the fuel filter replacement? and a possible price for the part and amount of time it will take? TIA!

Old 06-30-2006, 11:49 AM
1st Gear

I got my filter from Audi for like $12. Looks like a couple lines need to be taken off and the shield on the bottom of the car. I have a B6 though.

Old 06-30-2006, 11:53 AM
3rd Gear

yea..i'm pretty sure theres a write up on audiworld.com....

--E

Old 06-30-2006, 11:56 AM
3rd Gear

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng49.shtml

bingo....

--E

Quick Reply: Few fixes you should all know about