Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Final decisions

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 03:21 PM
Default RE: Final decisions

ORIGINAL: phroztbyt3

how much was all that.. and how much torque and hp are u getn when u put that baby in.... im still figuring out if i should wait and save up for my audi a4.. or sell the a4 in 2 years and get an rx7 which is fast enough as is.

If its worth the saving... ill definitely hold off on selling the audi.
youre asking on an audi forum whether you should buy an audi or a mazda...? the rex would be super fast and has a lot of potential beyond that but it really just isnt an audi. do a big turbo upgrade and all relating mods and youll be flyin plenty fast.

Old 08-09-2005, 03:27 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: miked

ORIGINAL: phroztbyt3

how much was all that.. and how much torque and hp are u getn when u put that baby in.... im still figuring out if i should wait and save up for my audi a4.. or sell the a4 in 2 years and get an rx7 which is fast enough as is.

If its worth the saving... ill definitely hold off on selling the audi.
youre asking on an audi forum whether you should buy an audi or a mazda...? the rex would be super fast and has a lot of potential beyond that but it really just isnt an audi. do a big turbo upgrade and all relating mods and youll be flyin plenty fast.
welp... i have researched both cars... pretty thoroughly.... an audi is german.. correct... its made efficiently and has the potential for power. It lasts a long time time and all and thats good..

an rx7... not just any mazda... is a rotary 1.3L engine... for a rotary even that is tiny. With a twin turbo its 290hp.... its rwd and thats not really a set back. I could upgrade that turbo to a single for 3000k with all the parts needed and have 400hp easy... absolutely no problem.

Its not audi vs. rx7.. cus the rx7 actually keeps its price more stable for some reason. Its speed vs. price. By looking at how much the turbo is for the audi.. if its a pretty good price for all the crap i'd have to get for it... then i'd just keep the audi.

Its like buying an s4 over an a4.. but 1 is a bit more expensive than the other. But with the rx7.. its about the same price for almost 2x the speed. And about the same stability until about 110k miles. (where an engine rebuild is only 1500 on a rotary).

Old 08-09-2005, 03:34 PM

welp... i have researched both cars... pretty thoroughly.... an audi is german.. correct... its made efficiently and has the potential for power. It lasts a long time time and all and thats good..

an rx7... not just any mazda... is a rotary 1.3L engine... for a rotary even that is tiny. With a twin turbo its 290hp.... its rwd and thats not really a set back. I could upgrade that turbo to a single for 3000k with all the parts needed and have 400hp easy... absolutely no problem.
Its not audi vs. rx7.. cus the rx7 actually keeps its price more stable for some reason. Its speed vs. price. By looking at how much the turbo is for the audi.. if its a pretty good price for all the crap i'd have to get for it... then i'd just keep the audi.

Its like buying an s4 over an a4.. but 1 is a bit more expensive than the other. But with the rx7.. its about the same price for almost 2x the speed. And about the same stability until about 110k miles. (where an engine rebuild is only 1500 on a rotary).
3000k? thats a lot of money i think you meant 3k. but still with about 3k you could push up to 300hp+ on an audi. and you wont lose that luxury of quattro to put that power to the ground. in most cases you will be able to get a newer, more reliable car if you go the audi route.

Old 08-09-2005, 06:56 PM
1st Gear

I've been lurking on here for a few weeks, I currently own a 93' RX7 which will be for sale in about a week and have been looking for an A4 to replace it with. Ive had my RX7 for about 4 years so I thought I may be able to shed a bit of light on some pros and cons about the car.

The RX7 is a great car with alot of potential but it has a few bad spots as well. The engine life is a big one, most 3rd gens original engine lasts between 70-100K, I've only seen a few that have made it over 110K without a rebuild. The previous generations with NA motors could easily last 150-200K with regular maint. done but not the 3rd gen. Someone mentioned a $1500 rebuild, I'd like to know where, most rebuilds from a good shop will run in the 3-4K range, most of the times parts alone can run over 1500-2K, and if all of the rotors and housings are out of spec and need to be replaced you are looking at more $$$ than that.

Its is very easy to make 275-300RWHP for 2500-3K with basic bolt-ons, but you need to be very careful about the parts you are running. I good fuel computer like the Power FC, DP,CB, intake and upping the boost from the stock 10.5PSI to 12.5-13PSI should get you there. You want to find a good shop that knows there **** or find some other owners in your area that know what they are doing. The motor in these cars is one of the most intolerable motors that have ever seen. Most failures are caused by running lean as the stock fuel system will only support up to about 14PSI, and it is very easy to get spikes higher than that when you open up the intake and exhaust.

300RWHP will net one fast car that is as fast as or faster than BPU Supras and the like. However if you crave more power is when things start to get expensive. ~350RWHP is about the limit for the stock twin turbos, anything more and you will need to go single If you go that route plan on spending 6-8K by the time you factor in the kit itself, fuel system, clutch, larger IC, and tuning.

The cars are great to drive, in that they are small, light, and very nimble, esp. with some suspension mods. My old roommate has a heavily modded MKIV Supra, and the cars feel very different to drive due to the size and weight difference. How ever they don't really get along with wet roads, and forget about snow. So plan on having a daily driver if it snows at all where you live. Think a big sled with 4 wheels, you are pretty much along for the ride. The cars can also attract attention, and in some cases the kind that you would rather do without.

To anyone looking at one, if you have the means, go for it. They are great cars and are alot of fun, just research mods extensively before you do anything to the car or you may be sorry.

Old 08-09-2005, 07:11 PM

there ya have it. good info dr wankel.

Old 08-09-2005, 07:14 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Dr Wankel

I've been lurking on here for a few weeks, I currently own a 93' RX7 which will be for sale in about a week and have been looking for an A4 to replace it with. Ive had my RX7 for about 4 years so I thought I may be able to shed a bit of light on some pros and cons about the car.

The RX7 is a great car with alot of potential but it has a few bad spots as well. The engine life is a big one, most 3rd gens original engine lasts between 70-100K, I've only seen a few that have made it over 110K without a rebuild. The previous generations with NA motors could easily last 150-200K with regular maint. done but not the 3rd gen. Someone mentioned a $1500 rebuild, I'd like to know where, most rebuilds from a good shop will run in the 3-4K range, most of the times parts alone can run over 1500-2K, and if all of the rotors and housings are out of spec and need to be replaced you are looking at more $$$ than that.

Its is very easy to make 275-300RWHP for 2500-3K with basic bolt-ons, but you need to be very careful about the parts you are running. I good fuel computer like the Power FC, DP,CB, intake and upping the boost from the stock 10.5PSI to 12.5-13PSI should get you there. You want to find a good shop that knows there **** or find some other owners in your area that know what they are doing. The motor in these cars is one of the most intolerable motors that have ever seen. Most failures are caused by running lean as the stock fuel system will only support up to about 14PSI, and it is very easy to get spikes higher than that when you open up the intake and exhaust.

300RWHP will net one fast car that is as fast as or faster than BPU Supras and the like. However if you crave more power is when things start to get expensive. ~350RWHP is about the limit for the stock twin turbos, anything more and you will need to go single If you go that route plan on spending 6-8K by the time you factor in the kit itself, fuel system, clutch, larger IC, and tuning.

The cars are great to drive, in that they are small, light, and very nimble, esp. with some suspension mods. My old roommate has a heavily modded MKIV Supra, and the cars feel very different to drive due to the size and weight difference. How ever they don't really get along with wet roads, and forget about snow. So plan on having a daily driver if it snows at all where you live. Think a big sled with 4 wheels, you are pretty much along for the ride. The cars can also attract attention, and in some cases the kind that you would rather do without.

To anyone looking at one, if you have the means, go for it. They are great cars and are alot of fun, just research mods extensively before you do anything to the car or you may be sorry.
that rebuild place i saw online.. this guy does them in bulk and only for rotaries.... i honestly forget the website... just go to like google.. type it in.... you have to ship it out... 500 down... 1000 after its done... sorry but i dont remember exactly where.

thnx 4 the advice as well.. both of u (first 2 posts above this 1)... yeah i might just keep the a4.. and build on it i guess.

Old 08-10-2005, 10:07 PM
Site Moderator

Tubo kit's here!
Still waiting on the fueling kit and inlet pipe. I have a 2000, so they're fixing the radiator support problem they were having with 00 and 01's

Intercooler is here! [sm=happybounce.gif]

Since I know everyone here likes pictures-

Turbo 01
Turbo 02
Turbo 03
Turbo Hardware

Intercooler
Intercooler parts

Reminder

Old 08-11-2005, 03:20 AM
3rd Gear

NICEEE...and the reminder is perfect..i hear you can install it under the intercooler...??...lol

--E

Old 08-11-2005, 03:26 AM
4th Gear

I predict you have some tuning to do. I was about to order the gt2x, but it would be slower down low then the setup i have now. Good luck with it, i hope it all works out.

Old 08-11-2005, 05:41 AM
Zombie Defense Force

that fmic was a bitch to install, the pipes didnt fit right (had to use different ones) and the bumper had to be hacked to peices, but it works very well.

Quick Reply: Final decisions