Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first move

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 04:06 PM
1st Gear
Default first move

hey. im a nuub as far as turbo cars go.. or. nice cars for that matter.
i have a stock 98 a4. (not quattro)

yall are probably tired of these questions, but at least it isnt another "how do i put my new bov that i paid 130 for on?? i want the sound!" blog.

i was just wondering if anyone had any advice as to which is a better idea.
keep side mount intercooler

or go with front mount. ive had a few people tell me to keep it with the sm. but,
since i know yall are very thorough with giving advice. might as well ask.

also. i know not to slap on halos. ive seen those. i personally dont think they look too good. any perticular headlights yall think look great on it?

Old 03-24-2006, 04:08 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: first move

people get killed because of they have bov on their audis... be carefull....

Old 03-24-2006, 04:18 PM
Site Moderator

most people stick with the one piece headlights, maybe do the clear corner mod with them.. A fmic will help you with heat soak in hot weather i think.. It will make the turbo take a LITTLE longer to spool up on a stock turbo, but the stock turbo spools so fast compared to any other turbo it wouldnt be to terrible i dont think.. Might want to save that mod for when/if you get a bigger turbo ever though.

Old 03-24-2006, 04:25 PM
1st Gear

I heard putting a BOV on an audi can screw your ecu up, not too sure about it. I have a SSQ HKS BOV that i have yet to put on.

Old 03-24-2006, 04:49 PM
5th Gear

YES a BOV is bad on any (not just Audi) Closed loop system such as the one Audi’s have, it will run like **** and **** up your car in more ways than one

As for fmic they are actually really beneficial i have one with the stock k03 turbo and it even helps with that

Headlights, imo just do the CC mod

Old 03-24-2006, 05:08 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Piggy

I heard putting a BOV on an audi can screw your ecu up, not too sure about it. I have a SSQ HKS BOV that i have yet to put on.

anycar that meters air(MAF) pre(before) the turbo will have issues. See the engine meters the air coming in and dumps a certain amount of fuel per air. when you "blo off" that metered air is release and now you have a super rich situation and that will cause issues in any car with this setup. Oh and btw every car is setup this way, you have to go out of your way and custom install a MAF post turbo to do this safely. But theres still a catch...the air thats released is used to help spool the turbo after a shift. So when you nail the gas the and shift the air spins the turbo faster so there is less lag in the next gear thus giving your power lower.

If you want the sound get a hks ssq its the loudest Ive heard and recirculate the sucker (dont worry your ricer ears will still hear the valve). I know they make recirc kits for them, but I dont know if they fit audis 9dont know why they wouldnt).

Old 03-24-2006, 05:19 PM
18T
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: aRIf

people get killed because of they have bov on their audis... be carefull....
lmao

Old 03-24-2006, 05:25 PM

You dont need an front mount intercooler, unless you go k04 PC16 or above.

Get some nice 1 peice headlights, either from a newer (99.5-01) a4/s4 or buy some new Ecode 1 peice housings for about $400 (high side)

As far as any visual modification, do you YOU want... its your car.. you should be happy with it.

If you live in CA or someplace hot in the summer, and you run your car VERY agressive, and have a regular k04 or above, then you may want to get a FMIC just to keep IAT down.

Old 03-24-2006, 05:28 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: liquidxit2

ORIGINAL: Piggy

If you want the sound get a hks ssq its the loudest Ive heard and recirculate the sucker (dont worry your ricer ears will still hear the valve). I know they make recirc kits for them, but I dont know if they fit audis 9dont know why they wouldnt).

This is what I am doing when I get my car. The only reason I am doing this is because a buddy of mine was going to put it on his dsm and totaled his car before he could put it on so he sold it to me for 50 bucks. and they can handle any amount of boost you can throw at them. Am I a ricer?

Old 03-24-2006, 05:32 PM
1st Gear

wow.. great advice yall... yeah, ive already done the bov.. that lil b****** stayed on for a good 20 minutes.. then the car started running rich.. i mean. the sounds cool and all.. but i really wouldnt go out of my way for it.. plus it doesnt belong on an audi anyways. that perticular mod belongs to the guys with the stock civics who are trying to live out the 2f2f dream. im not even going to waste my time getting the recirc for it. i did read earlier that you can get a similar sound by drilling holes in the top and the bottom of an intake. or something like that. anyone care to elaborate.?

oh, and i dont know if i am going to invest in a new turbo or not for 2 reasons. i love how quickly the stock one spools up. gotta love the small ones. not too much lag. 2nd. i am not totally sure how much psi my car is capible of holding. so idk how big a turbo it would be able to sustain. any ideas?

Quick Reply: first move