Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which fluid goes in yellow container?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 12:05 PM
1st Gear
Default Which fluid goes in yellow container?

Just got my first CEL after chipping, did a couple hard accelerations last night and it popped on.

Which fluid is the yellow container thingy for? Mines super low all of a sudden...I know i know get a manual, I'll get one later this week but for now pls help. Thanks.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:13 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Which fluid goes in yellow container?

big yellow one on drivers side in engine compartment is coolant overflow. little yellow one on driver's side outside the compartment closer to the windshield is brake fluid. make sure yo use the right stuff. and, since you said it, buy a manual

Old 10-16-2007, 12:52 PM
1st Gear

any ideas what it means when the coolant overflow is below the "low" line? What coolant goes in there (like name wise?).

Old 10-16-2007, 12:55 PM
3rd Gear

Antifreeze/water Make sure your radiator has water in it for starters.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:37 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: what?

any ideas what it means when the coolant overflow is below the "low" line? What coolant goes in there (like name wise?).
i think it means your coolant is low. LOL i couldnt resist. sorry

Old 10-16-2007, 07:52 PM
1st Gear

[8D]
I meant like where is it disappearing to? Hopefully autozone has some of that g-whatever stuff if I can't make it to the audi dealer before close...

Thanks for the help guys...Now to figure out if radiator has water....

Old 10-16-2007, 07:55 PM
5th Gear

no autozone doesn't and they will tell u to use preston but dont' listen to them. it's a dealer item or u can get it online. it's either leaking outside of the car of into the engine. if it's going into the engine, u should see blueish smoke from the exhaust. otherwise u should take it to a shop cuz u sound absolutely unmechanically inclined.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:01 PM
1st Gear

it could be burnt up in the engine or leaking out of the car as the guy above me said, but more than likely you just never noticed the coolant being low before. The amount of coolant in the overflow tank varies day by day. The majority of your coolant is inside the radiator and the engine. Just add coolant to the overflow tank until it gets to the full line, run your car and keep it at the full line, if it continues to go below low every day then you do have a leak. as far as brand goes, just find a brand thats the same color as yours and says on the bottle that it mixes with any coolant. if its red go with prestone, if its blue or green go with peak. do not put full concentration put 50% coolant/antifreeze and 50% water, distilled if you are picky.. unless of course the bottle says 50/50 prediluted.. then dont add water. hope it helps

Old 10-16-2007, 08:03 PM
5th Gear

DO NOT USE PRESTONE IN UR AUDI!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-16-2007, 08:20 PM
3rd Gear

sounds to me like you need some blinker fluid asap!

Quick Reply: Which fluid goes in yellow container?