Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel filter noise confusion

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 10:16 PM
1st Gear
Default fuel filter noise confusion

i took an 8 hour trip (each way) this weekend. toward the end of each leg the car started making a very strange noise. when i got out of the car i found the noise and it is comming from the fuel filter...when i did the "fuel filter noise" search i became just slightly confused. is it a failing fuel pump causing the noiseor a clogged fuel filter? i drove it around today about another 100 miles and noticed the noise a littleearly on in the trip. i stopped and put about a half tank in and didn't notice it again however before i filled up it hadn't been making th noise either. if it starts making the noise again when i get low on gas again will that help me diagnose the real issue?

fyi - when i originally found the noise it seemed to be that the filter was vibrating so badly that it was buzzing and the noise i was hearing was the "buzzing"

Old 10-15-2007, 10:18 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: fuel filter noise confusion

The fuel filter gets clogged and makes the fuel pump strain and make a crazy noise. If you don't change the fuel filter soon, you're gonna be buying a fuel pump as well.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:19 PM
5th Gear

do u se any performance loses? if not, it's prolyl sumthing else. but top to be safe, run sum seafoam through the tank.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:25 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: shelbyturbo

i took an 8 hour trip (each way) this weekend. toward the end of each leg the car started making a very strange noise. when i got out of the car i found the noise and it is comming from the fuel filter...when i did the "fuel filter noise" search i became just slightly confused. is it a failing fuel pump causing the noiseor a clogged fuel filter? i drove it around today about another 100 miles and noticed the noise a littleearly on in the trip. i stopped and put about a half tank in and didn't notice it again however before i filled up it hadn't been making th noise either. if it starts making the noise again when i get low on gas again will that help me diagnose the real issue?

fyi - when i originally found the noise it seemed to be that the filter was vibrating so badly that it was buzzing and the noise i was hearing was the "buzzing"

Could you explain the noise? Would it be coming from the passenger rear of the car? I have this buzzing noise that has been annoying for some time. I've been putting it off thinking it's just a wheel bearing or my rear differential; god i hope it's not my fuel filter!![]

Old 10-15-2007, 10:36 PM
1st Gear

good news...I am picking up the filter tomorrow and i will change tomorrow night after school. it shouldn't take long huh?

sea foam in the gas tank!? i thought that was for the oil issue? i just had the oil changed at Audi on friday...i got the all clear from them on the oil sludge. but no i dont really notice much performance drop...maybe a slight blip everyone once in a while but it seems to be low in the RPM range i just figured it was ******* cause the low RPMs

i would describe the noise as a buzzing or a whirring i think people have used before. when its happening its not speed dependant though if i push the pedal it will get a little louder but it certainly isn't consistent.

god i hope it's not my fuel filter!![]
Im pretty sure i would rather replace a $30 fuel filter than a wheel bearing or a differential!!!!

Old 10-15-2007, 10:36 PM
1st Gear

btw, thanks for the quick responses!!!

Old 11-02-2007, 11:24 AM
1st Gear

hi do any of you a4 pro know about a noise that is humming or (high) pitch cominng from either my rear car,fuel pump, or fuel filter? I just replace my fuel filter about a month ago??? It wines with the engine at very low rpm; 800-1000rpm?? and goes away and comes back on and on..... anoying noise. Please HELP ME! any suggestion will be greatfully respected!!! EMAIL: yaj_jauni@hotmail.com.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:59 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: a4riderz

hi do any of you a4 pro know about a noise that is humming or (high) pitch cominng from either my rear car,fuel pump, or fuel filter? I just replace my fuel filter about a month ago??? It wines with the engine at very low rpm; 800-1000rpm?? and goes away and comes back on and on..... anoying noise. Please HELP ME! any suggestion will be greatfully respected!!! EMAIL: yaj_jauni@hotmail.com.
You need a new fuel pump, and start your own post next time.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:07 PM

^ totally agree but an answer is required now and its a new filter ( fuel pump is in tank ) so the noise would be greater and to the rear of the car, fuel filter could be starvation of fuel due to bad fuel filter then again it could be a flat tyre

Old 11-02-2007, 02:17 PM
4th Gear

The fuel filter doesn't make any noise. Its the fuel pump. The filter is after the fuel pump (b5), a clogged filter will mess up the pump. But a bad pump isn't necessarily caused by a clogged filter. OT but I think the system is a terrible design to begin with. The pump shouldn't be before the filter and definitely shouldn't be in the tank.

Quick Reply: fuel filter noise confusion