Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a question for those w/ manuals...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 11:12 PM
1st Gear
Default Got a question for those w/ manuals...

I don't normally drive the car too aggressively, but i've noticed my upshifts at above 5,000 results in the car 'bucking'. Its more of the accelerated clutch release to quicken shifts that is causing this 'bucking' effect. I'm sure if I rode the clutch more it wouldn't be as harsh. Bucking is the only way I can really describe it, the will rocks forward some then rocks back as I accelerate in the new gear. I imagine that all vehicles go through this under hard acceleration and high stress power transfers between gears, but I'm curious as to how much I SHOULD be experiencing. And assume that i'll want to correct this behavior, will say a Snub Mount from APR correct it? And feedback is appreciated guys, thanks.

Old 11-08-2005, 11:17 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Got a question for those w/ manuals...

when driving hard if you don't do a smooth transition for disengaging the clutch, ie: letting up the gas at acceptable rate and pushing in clutch so that the drivetrain is disengaged from the engine smoothly. But, yes, your car will "buck" when accelerating hard due to the power transfer and the slight pause in between gears.

Sry, can't help you with what the snub mount will do,

question for others who know, what is a snub mount?

Old 11-08-2005, 11:20 PM
2nd Gear

im only 16 and have been driving my manual for about 3 months. not to be be pompous or anything but i would have to say my speed shifts are very accurate and smooth. what u need to do is complelely let your foot off the gas when u press in the clutch to shift. you will soon learn to pop that clutch flawlessly. the only problem im having with acceleration is lauching. i either give it too much gas causing it to spin the tires too much or not enough gas and start sluggish. if some1 can give some advice on lauching, that would be great. Thanks.

Old 11-08-2005, 11:28 PM
1st Gear

are you running quattro? cus if ur giving too much gas and actually spinning all 4 pushing tires, that's a decent accomplishment in itself there. What rpms do u usually launch at?

And nomotiv, juice88 is right, it's all about the forward and aft alternating movements between your gas and clutch foot. master those and the "bucking" should decrease.

Old 11-08-2005, 11:35 PM
2nd Gear

i have a fronttrac. i usually try and about 3.5 to 4 anything past 5 and your gonna be left in the exhaust flow of others.

Old 11-09-2005, 12:29 AM
1st Gear

yea, i do any thing above 3.5 and i feel bad for my clutch.

Old 11-09-2005, 01:16 AM
3rd Gear

Yeah, there's gonna be some "bucking" under hard acceleration, since between shifts you're disconnecting the wheels from the engine momentarily so the inertia from accelerating is cut. A snub mount would definitely help, but part of it is just physics. It's nothing to really worry about.

Old 11-09-2005, 06:28 AM
1st Gear

ok thanks for those responses. the bucking wasnt bothering me too much, but it was something that caught my attention. as for not releasing the gas all the way, i'm pretty sure that my foot is completely off the gas when i engage the clutch. but i've pretty much accepted bucking as a part of aggressive driving/gear changes.

Old 11-09-2005, 02:27 PM
1st Gear

With practice you can virtually eliminate the bucking. An APR snub will definitely make it easier - and it's such a simple and cheap mod.

Old 11-09-2005, 08:33 PM
2nd Gear

while we're on the topic, i'm just not that smooth of a shifter. i've been driving manual about as long as juice88, and for some reason i just cant seem to shift smooth enough without immense concentration, if theres a passenger i can always see their head rock back and forth with my shifts and it makes me feel like an idiot. Should i be able to shift so well it feels like an automatic?

Quick Reply: Got a question for those w/ manuals...