Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H&R information

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 11:22 PM
1st Gear
Default H&R information

Before you flame and tell me to use the search, just hold on for a minute. I'm not asking what springs, coilovers, or shocks I should get...just want to ask about something I've noticed while looking for suspension upgrades.

Over the past couple weeks I have been looking at some different suspension modifications I can do to my car. I really don't want to spend that much money, but at the same time still want to get a good quality of product and not too harsh of a ride. So I came across the H&R sport springs. EVERY website that has sold H&R products has said that same thing in the description box. It gives info on the history of H&R and how much it will lower the car (1.5"-2.0"). It says nothing about how aftermarket shocks are recomended. However, in the description of the H&R race springs, it does say that aftermarket shocks are recomended.

So my question is, wouldn't H&R tell me if I needed to get aftermarket shocks? I don't think they would leave that part out if they were neccisary.

Old 07-15-2006, 12:14 AM
Site Moderator
Default RE: H&R information

Nope. They would leave it out.

If you have the stock sport suspension and get the H&R sport springs, they'll probably last longer than non sport shocks. You'd also be getting more for your money if you replaced the shocks at the same time. More performance and depending on how old your car is, your stock shocks might not have very much time on them anyways. Which means you would still end up shelling out the money for shocks + another install.

Old 07-15-2006, 12:15 AM
18T
4th Gear

go ahead, do it.

dont say we didnt tell you though.

Old 07-15-2006, 12:26 AM
5th Gear

they aren't immediately necessary, but your stock shocks will not last more than a few months max with aftermarket springs...the reason they tell you you need shocks with race springs is because the spring rates are so much different that your car would be bouncing so much it would basically be not driveable.

Old 07-15-2006, 01:24 AM
1st Gear

18T...I wasn't saying I didn't need them, just wondering if they were neccesary since the website wasn't telling me that it was recomended.

I would end up replacing the shocks in the future, I just don't have the funds to do it at the moment. The reason that I want to get springs is I just ordered 19" rims and don't want to look like I'm driving my dads truck, even though I have the sport suspension. How long would you say my shocks would last with the H&R sport springs?

Old 07-15-2006, 01:33 AM
Site Moderator

Couple months. 4-6.

Old 07-15-2006, 01:44 AM
1st Gear

Is it different for different cars? My friend has had his eibach springs on his car for a year and a half now and his shocks still ride as good as normal. By the way, my car is a 2002 with 50k on it.

Old 07-15-2006, 07:27 AM
2nd Gear

here's a thought, keep the sport springs, and replace sport shocks with bilstien shocks

it lowers like 1.5 - 2.0 and you get better handeling. its like sport springs on stock shocks, but better...

that's what im doing when the time comes... oh and it shall come...... it shall come....

Old 07-15-2006, 08:52 AM
1st Gear

I currently have the 17s on my B7 audi with sport suspension. Do I absolutely have to get new shocks and springs if I want to get 18s or 19s but not look like I'm riding in a monster truck or is the stock suspension system enough to mitigate the Monster truck effect?

Old 07-15-2006, 08:56 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: luvin_the_rings

here's a thought, keep the sport springs, and replace sport shocks with bilstien shocks

it lowers like 1.5 - 2.0 and you get better handeling. its like sport springs on stock shocks, but better...

that's what im doing when the time comes... oh and it shall come...... it shall come....
Is this a good idea, folks?
And how does this compare to coilovers as far as overall cost and difficulty of install?
I have the sport suspension on my car, but I want to lower it a bit without sacrificing ride quality too much......

Quick Reply: H&R information