Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hearing Cracking when in boost??

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 04:01 AM
1st Gear
Default Hearing Cracking when in boost??

so here is my problem, i noticed that when i accelerate and im in WOT as soon as i hit boost i hear some sort of crackling sound. It seems to be comming from the drivers side of my car, but im sure its just resonating off that side.
A mechanic told me it could be just my DV, since im using the DV004 and not 007, but it really dosnt seem like a DV problem

Also i think i have a boost leak because as im accelerating power sort of surges in and out.

My modifitcations are the DIY coldair box mod, Forge DV004, GIAC flash.

Thank-you
Brandon

Old 07-17-2006, 04:09 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Hearing Cracking when in boost??

your engine is knocking, that means your car is detonating to soon, your going to need higher octane, due to the fact the fuel is igniting to soon, but thats only if you hear like a ticking noise in WOT and high boost

Old 07-17-2006, 04:35 AM
1st Gear

well i only ever run 91 octane, and in fact today i filled up 94 octane, and its still doing it. But it not a ticking sounds more of a crackling sound. But i have to stick my head outta my window to sort of hear it better, but couldnt really pinpoint it.

Old 07-17-2006, 09:00 AM
1st Gear

You are defenitely detonating my friend. That's the crackling sound you hear. You must have a boost leak at the N75 valve or wastegate. What's happening is that you're getting more boost than you have fuel for. Check that out thoroughly -- the hoses leading to the wastegate on the turbo or the N75 valve or maybe the valve is bad itself.

Old 07-17-2006, 01:31 PM
1st Gear

Thanks, ill have it looked at today.

if it is the N75 valve, should i then switch it to N75J???

which valve would be the best supportive, ive searched and most people seem to switch to N75J.

Thanks,
Brandon

Old 07-17-2006, 01:31 PM
Site Moderator

If you had a boost leak you wouldnt be getting more boost than normal, it would be less, and you would only run rich-which doesnt cause detonation. Check your intercooler piping and everything under/on top around the drivers side of the engine bay. A boost leak will NEVER cause you to get too much boost into the engine. If it IS detonation , id be thinking more about fuel filter/fuel pump/spark plugs/coil packs/injectors or something that is restricting fuel or not burning the fuel off correctly. You people who think a leaking n75 or wastegate is going to cause MORE boost should educate yourselves more before confusing people and wasting their time.
1st thing to do is get the correct DV in there, but I doubt thats your problem. Also get a boost gauge-a must have with a turbo, and especially for troubleshooting. My guess is either something is lose/ratteling, or your arent getting enough fuel to match your boost which is causing detonation. But again, a boost leak will never cause detonation. Its probably lack of fuel now that i read the end of your post where you say it surges. Look at fuel related things rather than boost leak related things. And deffinately put in the correct dv (710n or forge 007 etc) to rule that out.

Old 07-17-2006, 02:19 PM
1st Gear

well im gonna try and swap out for the 007 and try to eliminate that problem.

Ive recently changed my plugs for bosch platiunums.

but hmmm since my power is surging in and out could it be a boost leak? ill try to pick up a boost gauge today.

Thank- you for your help.

Old 07-17-2006, 02:22 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: onepoint8tee
You people who think a leaking n75 or wastegate is going to cause MORE boost should educate yourselves more before confusing people and wasting their time................. And deffinately put in the correct dv (710n or forge 007 etc) to rule that out.
Whoa, slow down there pup. Read my post again, but this time pay attention. and If it was too fast for you, let me slow it down..I said:

the.......... hoses............ leading......... to......... the............. wastegate............. on........... the.............. turbo............... or............ the............ N75............... valve................ or.................. maybe.............. the.................. valve.................. is................ bad.......... itself.

There, was that slow enough for you!? Are you ready to be edumacated!? Then pay attention:

The reason I mentioned to endle55 to check the hose leading to the wastegate is because if there's a leak in that hose, then the actual boost pressure getting into the motor and what the wastegate sees would be different. This is what a MBC ( manual boost controller ) is designed to do -- to cheat the wastegate out of the pressure it should receive inorder to provide the motor with more boost until the wastegate gets the amount of pressure needed to open the flap in the turbine and allow the excess exhaust pressure bypass the turbine wheels, therefore, limiting the boost pressure to the motor at that exact point.

So, again, if he had a leak in the wastegate hose then it would not be getting an accurate boost pressure level from the turbo, therefore, allow more boost to get to the motor BEFORE the wastegate received enough to open up. So, in his case, he's probably exceeding the fuel requirements needed to supply the boost his car is getting....causing detonation.

Got it or do you need me to provide illustrations..in elementary terms, that would be pictures.

Old 07-17-2006, 02:50 PM
Site Moderator

The n75 regulates any irregularities that the wastegate may cause, including telling the ecu to provide the correct amount of fuel compared to how much boost is detected by it. It would be unlikeley that both his wastegate and n75 are fucked up at the same time.
Im not a huge fan on using illustrations to figure things out, but tell me if you can understand what im trying to explain to you w/ this one:

Old 07-17-2006, 02:57 PM
1st Gear

Hey, a mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Quick Reply: Hearing Cracking when in boost??