Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heater problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 06:27 PM
1st Gear
Default heater problem

hey guys, i have a 1997 a4 1.8t quattro/automatic and when i am stopped and have the heat/fan running with the AC off i get an exhaust smell coming through the vents. i have changed both the air and cabin filters and no change. any suggestions?

Old 10-10-2006, 06:28 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: heater problem

thats wierd man my guess would be the cabin filter isnt in there right and you have an exhasut leak somewhere by the motor

Old 10-10-2006, 06:31 PM
1st Gear

i cant hear any exhaust leaks, although i recently had to have my exhaust weld at the cat becasue it blew off, but its not leaking anymore atleast that i can hear.

Old 10-10-2006, 06:32 PM
5th Gear

thats wierd man i dunno where it would be comming from then

Old 10-10-2006, 06:35 PM
1st Gear

when i am driving its fine, its only when i am stopped at a light or parked

Old 10-10-2006, 06:36 PM
5th Gear

hmm maybe its just your exhaust getting back up to the motor when you stop, in that case i dont think there is anything you could really do about it except be sure your exhaust tip is all the way out past the rear bumper and not shooting exhaust in to the bumper and then back forward

Old 10-10-2006, 06:39 PM
4th Gear

I bet its the weld job.

Did it do it before that?

I would take it back to the shop that did the cat welding, and tell them "Hey, can you check out the exhaust, because ever since you welded it I smell exhaust fumes while idling."

They can take a closer look and find the leak, its proably around the cat since it had broke loose.

Old 10-10-2006, 06:39 PM
1st Gear

yeah i think it may just be fumes coming through the cat where i welded, might try and find a new cat, or put a few more tacks on it.

Old 10-10-2006, 06:40 PM
5th Gear

yea take it and have them re check it, if the place is any good they should just look at it for free
ORIGINAL: acetrebo

I bet its the weld job.

Did it do it before that?

I would take it back to the shop that did the cat welding, and tell them "Hey, can you check out the exhaust, because ever since you welded it I smell exhaust fumes while idling."

They can take a closer look and find the leak, its proably around the cat since it had broke loose.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:25 AM
1st Gear
Default heater and fumes

About 2 wks ago my A4 all of a sudden started emitting steam from under the hood in traffic. Had the thermostat replaced. And a coolant flush.

before that...about 3 months ago I had a cracked coolant reservoir replaced, and a coolant flush.

the heat has not been blowing warm/hot air for a little under a yr...Well since the thermostat replacement, the heater blows hot as long as I am accelerating. When I stop the air turns cool and I can smell fumes... they go away if i turn the heat off....WHAT IS THIS ISSUE? I will take it to a mechanic (I do not work on cars AT ALL) but want some idea so I'm not taken for a ride...in a cold smelly Audi. Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: heater problem