Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP A3 vs A4

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 05:49 PM
2nd Gear
Default HELP A3 vs A4

Hi all, I am a recent college grad that is interested in either an 2007 A3 2.0 with the sport, cold weather, and open sky packages or an 2006 A4 avant fully loaded with about 8000 miles on it. I kept my scholarship through out college so my parents are going to be paying the majority of the cost. I know what you are thinking an 2006 A4 avant loaded is much more than an A# but I have extended family that can get me one at around 30,000 about the same the local Audi dealer would sell me the A3 as aforementioned. I have just started a great job in Washington DC, but I don’t expect to do too much city driving I will just take the metro into work the majority of the time. I have some things I really like about each and some concerns about each. I really like the way the A3 drives especially with the DSG, how it looks and the gas mileage it gets. I am concerned about the lack of Quattro in the 2.0 model (b/c there is potential that I will get transferred to another office up north in a year or two), the reliability is also a concern I have read some horror stories about some unreliable A3’s, finally I am concerned about the resale value which I have heard is not as good as the A4. In terms of the A4 Avant I like the fact that it will be better equipped, have Quattro, have a better resale value and how it has more room for stuff. But I am concerned about its size when I am driving in the city, how it has worse gas mileage, the lack of DSG and how it won’t be as sporty as an A3. I have to admit I haven’t driven an A4 avant yet but I have to assume it can’t be as sporty as the A3. I would really appreciate any advice/ suggestions you could give me.

Thanks Again!

Old 04-11-2007, 07:23 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: HELP A3 vs A4

I drive a B5 and haven't driven any of the new ones, but here is what I think:

Although the A4 isn't as small as the A3, its still not a big car. City driving should be fine especially if you don't do it everyday.

Gas mileage shouldn't be that much worse in the A4 compared to the A3 if you got the 4 cyl. Quattro and the added overall weight are really only things to bring it down.

Audi resale value is mediocre at best either way. Hondas sell above book value. Audis sell below book. A4 will probably hold higher longer, but you will still selleither for much less than you bought it.

I wouldn't worry about reliability issues. You are buying a new car with a warranty so most things will be covered. As for keeping it past warranty . . . its an Audi, expect stuff to break. Not that they are all that bad, but they have a lot more options etc than lesser cars so there is more stuff to break. Most of it is more minor, not stuff that is going to leave you stranded on the side of the road.

Not sure about the sporyness, you have to drive each and decide for yourself. The A3 may be a bit quicker because of less weight, but would it keep up with a Quattro A4 in the twisties? Quattro owns curves. Your dealer may let you take one to try out for a few days (the one here will). If you can get the A4 Quattro and take it to the mountains for some twisty testing, do it and compare it to the A3.

Personally, I would get the A4 Quattro with the 4 cyl turbo engine. Its more up to your personal preference, but you will prob be happy with either.