Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!! A4 HURT BAD!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 04:35 PM
1st Gear
Default HELP!!! A4 HURT BAD!!!!

1999.5, 1.8t, 5speed, front wheel drive, 130,000miles

hey Im Johnny. I was driving on the high way going 65mph. I was just cruzing. Then all a suddin Zummmmm the quickly lost all power, eventually leaving me on the side of the road. the car would not start up again. I had to get it towed. now I get the car home and try to start it again and it wont. It makes a sound like this "zizzzzzzz" and my buddy was looking under the hood and he said that everything was spinning. fan, belts, ext.. but the car wont even give a start or even an attempt. I took out the spark plugs and the first plug looked like it had been dipped in oil. all the other pluggs were ok. I took off the valve cover and replaced the valve cover gasket and the spark plugs, and their gasket as well...so now the car has spark (I checked and got shocked I know). I have no clue was the heck is wrong it still wont try to start. I never would hope for anyone to have this problem! but I hope that someone that has had it will reply to me and tell me what they think.......PLEASE HELP ME!!!! If it helps any the oil light came on for a quick sec right when the power loss occured. I checked the oil and everything is good....still no start....

Old 05-01-2007, 04:40 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: HELP!!! A4 HURT BAD!!!!

No check engine light? Had your engine been knocking or did you notice lack of power at all before this happend? Might be a sludge issue, which would mean engine is seized... and all you are hearing is the starter trying to crank up a seized engine. If you find out that is the case, then see if you can get Audi to replace the engine. You would need all oil change records to qualify for a free replacement though, i think. Usually when someone gets the OIL light and the engine dies, that means sludge/bye bye engine, and its not uncommon. How long have you owned the car and what kind of oil has been used in it? Synthetic?

Old 05-01-2007, 04:48 PM
1st Gear

no...no check engine light was ever on...now it is...the timing belt is even spinnig...wouldent that mean that the pistons are moving as well??? and I always an fully sinsthic. I owned the car since it had 70,000 on it. I dont have records of oil changes cause I would do it myself. I always ran Mobile 1..

Old 05-01-2007, 04:53 PM
Site Moderator

ya if the timing belt is spinning then the internals should be moving too. Try to rent/borrow an OBD II code scanner from autozone or wherever and hook it up under the dash and scan. Just because you dont have a CEL doesnt mean there arent fault codes. Check hoses around/under the turbo to make sure they are connected. If you have a boost leak youd run very rich, which would explain wet plugs, and if a hose has become completely detactched, the engine wouldnt run.
But that wouldnt be an explanation for your OIL light though... Which is scarry. I still wouldnt rule out sludge though. Just because your timing belt/pistons are moving doesnt mean they are getting lubrication, andcausing drag on the engine to keep it running. Definately stop trying to turn it over though.

Old 05-01-2007, 05:13 PM
4th Gear

Try draining your oil and see if there is any metal flakes or something in there. That might be a sign of something bad. Also how long do you wait in between changes?

Josh

Old 05-01-2007, 05:35 PM
2nd Gear

That soulnds so bad, i am doing all the oil changes as well should i just save my reciepts when i buy oil or what. I have an extended warranty and i dont want to negate it by changing my own oil.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:15 PM
1st Gear

The possiblilities to your problem are endless... Have the codes read and pray that something comes up... keep us posted on what comes of this problem

Old 05-01-2007, 06:42 PM
1st Gear

OBD II code reader...thats what Im gonna get in a few mins and I will read and write the codes on here so you guys can all see them. I have no clue whats wrong and it does seem like my possibaltys are endless. Im gonna get the code reader now so I have to go, but please I hope to keep in touch with all of you. I will also change the oil and make sure everthing is good there...what type/ thickness of oil is the best I will get it....

Old 05-01-2007, 06:56 PM
4th Gear

0w40 is what I run!

Josh

Old 05-01-2007, 08:28 PM
1st Gear

ok so there arent any flakes in the oil, and now im gonna hook up the code reader...

Quick Reply: HELP!!! A4 HURT BAD!!!!