Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help, annoying ticking(not lifters)

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 07:22 AM
Site Moderator
Default RE: help, annoying ticking(not lifters)

Could be the cam chain tensioner... In fact, Im almost positive thats what it is. Get under the hood, rev your engine at the throtle body, listen for that sound and I bet its coming from the the top/back of the valve cover near the firewall. Let us know!

Old 08-20-2007, 08:17 PM
1st Gear

great.. this is gonna blow.. it does sound like its coming from the cam chaintensioner. i start a new job tomorrow and will be commuting 2-3 hours everyday. so i have no choice but to drive it, atleast for tomorrow. how much will the dealship raped me for this?

Old 08-20-2007, 08:29 PM
Site Moderator

Un-fortunately a lot. The tensioner costs over $300 plus its about a 5.5 hour job under the flat rate system. I would say you're looking at a repair over $1,000.
When the tensioner goes bad is sounds exactly like valve tappet ticking, except our engines never have valve tappet noise, Its always the cam chain tensioner. Sorry to hear about that bro, i would try and replace it yourself.

Old 08-22-2007, 02:00 AM
1st Gear

threw a cel today.. vag-com'd it when i got home.

1 Fault Found:
16806 - Main Catalyst: Bank 1: Efficiency Below Threshold
P0422 - 35-10 - - - intermitent

after seening that, looks like the cat may actually be theclicking/rattling culprit? i have tomorrow off so i'm gonna do some major investigating. thing is i had the cat looked at and spot welded at the flange a month ago and the guy said it was fine that the cel was the from the o2.(hadthe cel before i bought a vag-com) i bet u anything they didn't even look at the damn cat!! just welded and didn't even test it or even shine a light in it! so what u guys think, clogged cat the culprit?

Old 08-22-2007, 03:11 AM

ill go with a blocked cat because the O2 sensor fault is intermittent

Old 08-22-2007, 12:05 PM
Site Moderator

You should be able to tell if the noise is coming from either the cam chain tensioner or the cat pretty easily. An exhaust leak by the cat will sound like a ticking noise since its so close to the exhaust ports. Check the welds around the flange on the cat where it meets the turbo. They are known to break/crack.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:26 PM

I was thinking more the car drove ok till it reaches normal temps then the cat code which would mean it was a time thing and only happened when the cat was hot and the effects were felt, but saying that an emissions test will prove this

Old 08-22-2007, 03:28 PM
1st Gear

just talked to someone who had the exact same noise i have. he said it turned out to be a blown wastegate? what do you guys think about that?

Old 08-22-2007, 03:32 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Jeff

any chance a kid put a card in your spokes
LOL JEFF

Old 08-22-2007, 03:47 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: nAsTYaudi

just talked to someone who had the exact same noise i have. he said it turned out to be a blown wastegate? what do you guys think about that?
I thought you said you pinpointed the noise where the cam chain tensioner is on the back/top of the engine???

Quick Reply: help, annoying ticking(not lifters)