Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help-any ideas-No Go in D.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 12:03 PM
1st Gear
Default Help-any ideas-No Go in D.

My 97 Audi A4 Quattro 2.8L 12V (128K)with a auto 5speed (5hp19FLA CJP ZF Transmission) has a problem starting out in D (Drive). Here's the Situation: Weeks back when it was -25 degrees here in Duluth my wife was leaving the parking garage downtown after her shift. She put the car in Drive and it wouldn't go, and the Shift indicator window was backlit instead of frontlit. She turned the car off and then turned it back on and it was frontlit. Then she drove it home to our heated Garage.

It drives from a complete stop in 2, however it won't drive in D. If you start out in 2 and drive you can put it in D and it will operate normally until you come to a stop.

Got the Diagnostic codes DTC from Foreign affairs it said: Gearbox speed sensor-00297 (G38)and 00256-brake light switch. Foreign affairs wanted 3500 for a tranny with 100k miles on it , NO Way.

I ordered a new gearbox speed sensor and in stalled it along with new ATF Fluid and Filter(Inspection of the pan and magnets were that less then a tea spoon of metal everything looked good). All Oem i got from Eric in Ironwood. I'm confident that I installed everything correctly. I drove it last night and it still has the same problem. I then disconnected the battery overnight thinking it might reset the code, however this morning when it drove it the same problem occured.

The tranny isn't slipping, it pullsin all gears. Any feedback is greatly welcomed.

Old 03-10-2007, 01:27 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Help-any ideas-No Go in D.

Are you still getting the same codes?
Did you use the special transmission fluid for VW/Audi ?

Old 03-10-2007, 01:50 PM
1st Gear

I used the Audi/VW Pentosin ATF. I haven't got it coded as of when i completed the job. 80 bucks a pop. Do you need a Vag/com to reset the code for the Tranny? Thanks

Old 03-10-2007, 03:55 PM
Site Moderator

Im not sure that disonnecting the battery clears TCU codes like it does with the ECU. I would def get ahold of vag com or take it to the dealer to have the codes cleared. Generic scanners like what Autozone uses dont communicate with the TCU I dont think. If that code is still being stored, it would keep you in tranny limp mode-which is what is happening.

Old 03-10-2007, 04:02 PM
Site Moderator

Here is the pic you are trying to put in your sig... Go to your profile and paste your pic link into your signaturewithlower case image tags like this: [img]picture link[/img] Also make sure you space out the [img] from your period . OH and resize your pic, its too big for a signature.. Make it about half the size it is please.

Old 03-10-2007, 05:23 PM
1st Gear

Hey, Thanks! Can i resize in the fourm photo album? or do i have to upload a smaller version of that pic?

About this vag/com deal. I just got in contact with a guy that has a vag/com and is will in to help. How do i reset these codes: 00297 Gearbox speed sensor (G38) and 00526- brake light switch F ? I appreciate your info. Thanks

Old 03-10-2007, 08:09 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: kbuff97A4

Hey, Thanks! Can i resize in the fourm photo album? or do i have to upload a smaller version of that pic?

About this vag/com deal. I just got in contact with a guy that has a vag/com and is will in to help. How do i reset these codes: 00297 Gearbox speed sensor (G38) and 00526- brake light switch F ? I appreciate your info. Thanks
You have to resize it first, then upload i think.
Just do a full scan in vag com.. It will scan all the control modules, etc. including the TCU. Write down any fault codes for future reference,and then have them cleared. Since you had the battery disconnected, a throtle body adaptation should be donethrough vag com too. The procedure on how to do that with vag comis found here: http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/audiB5.html

Old 03-10-2007, 10:56 PM
1st Gear

Cool that is good information to know. I'm trying to get a hold of a vag/com hopefully by tomarrow and let ya'll know what happens. Thanks again. What does that trottle body adaptation do? ok tomorrow afternoon v dub is coming with the vag/com .

onepoint8tee -so I havev-dub program the trottle body and the recoding the tiptronic- What if my transmisson is not a trip? Anyways, much appreciation for the Knowledge! Peace

Old 03-11-2007, 12:45 AM
4th Gear

Check with a vagcom as above. Your tranny was in limp mode. I don't believe that generic OBD scanners will read codes from the TCU.

When in LIMP mode only 4th gear and reverse work.

My TCU was giving me checksum errors (ie the internal chip was failing).

Old 03-11-2007, 04:32 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: kbuff97A4

Cool that is good information to know. I'm trying to get a hold of a vag/com hopefully by tomarrow and let ya'll know what happens. Thanks again. What does that trottle body adaptation do? ok tomorrow afternoon v dub is coming with the vag/com .

onepoint8tee -so I havev-dub program the trottle body and the recoding the tiptronic- What if my transmisson is not a trip? Anyways, much appreciation for the Knowledge! Peace
A throtle body adaptation re aligns the throtle plate in the throtle body and i think the throtle position sensor re learns the positions forbetween closed and wide open throtle. Something like that anway, I just know it should be done whenever the ecu or battery has been disconnected. If you dont have tiptronic, DO NOT mess with the coding in your TCU.

Quick Reply: Help-any ideas-No Go in D.