Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with CEL...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 02:43 AM
1st Gear
Default Help with CEL...

Hello people,

I am new to this forum... I bought a 97 Audi A4 1.8T about a month and a half ago. I've had the car parked since, since it doesn't have insurance... Well I've went to turn the car on and drive it for a few so nothing bad happens to it... Well, I went today and it's been about 3 weeks ago since I last turned it on or moved it... Well when I go to turn it on the Check Engine Light comes on. I don't know why, which is why I'm posting here to see if you guys have any suggestions... When I bought the car and before today that light was never on... Any suggestions on what the problem might be? I mean it's been sitting there for 3 weeks (maybe a little more) without even being turned on... My brother also said he knows how to check the codes for his Honda and he told me to ask if there is a way of checking your own codes for my A4 or will I have to go to the dealership... Any help will help me out a ton... THANKS EVERYONE!

Old 05-16-2006, 02:50 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Help with CEL...

Probably nothing serious. Take it to an auto parts store tomorrow and have the codes read. They don't charge you anythin for it. When you find out what they are, post them and we can help ya out.

Old 05-16-2006, 01:00 PM
2nd Gear

any funny noises coming from the motor? or is it just a cel w/ no noise? go to autozone and have it scanned for free.

Old 05-16-2006, 01:05 PM

this is common when cars stand for a while systems are cold and battery might be low so the cel is the response to that, clear the fault codes and see how it goes, if you don't have a fault code reader there is a little cheat for resetting the cel ( remove the ground wire from the battery and switch the head lights on then leave it for 10 to 20 minuets ) this clears the system

Old 05-16-2006, 01:09 PM

the reason for leaving the lights on ( before some one asks is because the ECU has a built in REM battery like a computer ) but it doesn't have a long life its more a temp thing so the lights depletes its storage capability

Old 05-16-2006, 04:30 PM
1st Gear

Great, I'll try that out. If the light still comes up I will just take it to AutoZone and have it read (I personally didn't know they did this). I will keep you guys posted on this, Thanks!

Old 05-16-2006, 04:40 PM

good luck mate but any problems you know where to come there are many advanced techs here