Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Help Help Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 12:10 AM
Default Help Help Help Help

Hi yall

I have a 2000 A4 1.8T Tip & I been noticing a few problems with the car that I can't understand, which is bothering the hell out of me, & I know the expert in here would be able to help with a few answers & what to do.

1. I usually parked the car on top of a hill by my house without the parking brake on & every time I move the gear from parked to reverse or drive I hear this big hard "cluck" noise when I move the gear, why is that noise. It happens every time it that normal cause that hard noise is bothering me. It might be coming from the transmission or something else. Is that mean I need to get a new Snub Mount cause I read a few posts which mentioned with new snub shifting is very smooth. Please help

2. when I start the car & the minute i moved the wheels I hear a squeaking noise in the front when I turned the wheels left or right, but it only happens the first time I move the wheels not when I'm driving or any other times.

3. Also When I put the car on reverse & back out off a parking space then put the car on drive every times I turned the wheels I hear a hard gravel noise like something rubbing against something else in the front & I can feel the movement by my left foot inside the car. I just change my rear brakes & I know that front ones need to be change also that's probably y the gravel noise in the front. But the noise with the wheels is really bothering me cause sometimes when I move the wheels I hear no noise & other times by straighting it out I can hear that hard gravel noise going. So yall please help, I can take care that situation before it get worse.

Thanks Yall

Old 09-25-2005, 01:50 AM
Default RE: Help Help Help Help

Well i can cover you for 1 and 2, 3 i am not sure of.

1. when parking an auto, just about any auto, when a car is in park, there is a pin that slides into place to stop any gear movement. on a hill without the e-brake all the weight of the vehicle is resting on that parking pin in the tranny, so when you go to shift it, it's moving a rod out of 3200+ pounds of weight which will cause the clunking. on a flat surface it is not that severe. use your e-brake on a hill.

2. this is probably the beginning signs of the control arms going, it is noisy and squeaky, but not all the time. before you get in to go anywhere, go to one of the front corners and push down on the car around where the wheels/shocks are, if it squeaks, it's the control arms.

3. ?

Old 09-25-2005, 03:08 AM
Default RE: Help Help Help Help

Check your front tire size, see if its too wide. Stick a finger inside the wheel well and see how much gap your wheel has from the control arm.