Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me figure out this problem. Wierd noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 03:07 PM
1st Gear
Default Help me figure out this problem. Wierd noise

Ok well ill start by telling you guys what kind of audi i just bought acouple days ago.

Its a 1997 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro 5 speed. It has 111k miles on it and i bought it for $5900. Black on black. Very clean and i love the car. Audis FTW.

Ok, well when i drive around town i hear this almost clunking noise or rattle noise coming from the front drivers side. It sounds like its at the top of the suspension where the noise comes from. I dont no weather its ball joints, control arms, shocks, suspension parts just rubbing together, shock mounts or w.e the hell it is. But ill i know is , is that it doesnt sound "normal". Because even my friend said that he can hear it to. It is only when i hit small put holes or w.e around the pavement. Little bumps hear and there wont make the sound reveal itself.

Its barley noticeable unless u really try and listen for it with the music off. Im really worried that i may be in for a really expensive repair coming up. And that wont be good because i just spent all my money on this car. Will this sound get worse? Should i have a mechanic check it out. What do u guys reccomend i do. I do have mechanical experience but i do not have anywhere to put my car up and inspect it. What would be the cheapest route in figuring out what is going on.

NOTE: I do not hear it at all when i turn the wheel back and forth, Driving on the freeway, braking, accelerating, shifting, and my suspension feels very nice as it is besides this little noise.

I do need to get all my wheels alligned though because at above 70mph on the freeway my wheel starts to shake alittle, so thats being fixed today.

Thanks guys, any help will benefit me.

Noah

Old 10-01-2007, 03:13 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Help me figure out this problem. Wierd noise

have tire/alignment shop check your suspension parts… most of them will do free inspections.

Old 10-01-2007, 03:14 PM
Default RE: Help me figure out this problem. Wierd noise

anti roll bar tie rods/bushings is very common

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl...+bar&gbv=2