Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help - My "cockpit is getting hot" when i drive! (newbie)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 06:16 AM
Unhappy Help - My "cockpit is getting hot" when i drive! (newbie)

Hi

I'm new to this forum and I'm also new to Audi's ... so not sure if anyone can help because Audi don't seem to be able to!

When driving my entire cockpit (where I sit) gets really hot around the legs...usually I notice this when I stick my foot down on and accelerate.
I'm driving a 53 A4 Cab 1.8T. After driving for round 20 minutes it's slightly unbearable...

Also I think the engine is getting too hot... I have taken it to Audi but they say this in normal in all A4's! Personally I can't beleive it! So im unsure of what to do now...

has anyone experienced this or can anyone help?

Many thanks
Ush

Old 08-10-2009, 12:18 PM
Site Moderator

What is the 53 in your model description?

Where is the heat coming from? The heater vents? Your heated seat turned on? Or is it just a more general heat? Does your A/C work at all?

Old 08-11-2009, 04:25 AM

Hiya thanks for your response.

53 is the plate - it's an Feb 04 model. 1.8T Cabriolet
The heat is coming from somewhere near where the brake and accelerator are. The A/C is off - it works fine but needs a regas. The vents are off and the heat is off.

it's a little concerning.

Ush

Old 08-11-2009, 10:43 AM
1st Gear

The EXACT same thing happens to me. I don't think it is something worth worrying about. There must just be a slot or hole in the firewall design that allows some heat to be transfered to that area.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:56 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by Ushi
Hiya thanks for your response.

53 is the plate - it's an Feb 04 model. 1.8T Cabriolet
The heat is coming from somewhere near where the brake and accelerator are. The A/C is off - it works fine but needs a regas. The vents are off and the heat is off.

it's a little concerning.

Ush
OH - your in the UK then?

Strange problem. I've had two B5 models and never had that issue. Are you sure you don't have an exhaust leak that is coming into the cabin? No odd smells?

No issues with performance or anything?

Old 08-12-2009, 09:42 AM

BRRMAN: Urm yes Sorry im in the UK. I can sometimes smell something, but it isnt that strong to be alarming... should I get a mechanic to check if I have an exhaust leak then? Performance seems spot on to me. But then again its my first Audi (and its much better than my last car!) - im going to get the oil changed as its black.

Audi have told me to keep the A/C on so that he heat doesnt affect me even when the hood is down! Which is strange advice dont you think?

RUSTLERBOI: Is yours getting hot enoough to make your legs go sweaty!?

Old 08-12-2009, 10:46 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Ushi
RUSTLERBOI: Is yours getting hot enoough to make your legs go sweaty!?
I mean it's pretty noticeable. It's like waves of heat. I'd say it can be 100 degrees sometimes. It is pretty hot.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:23 AM

Yep thats the one....
So you reckon I shouldnt worry about it! I find that madness... I drove a peugot prioir to this and I never had issues like that! How crazy to think a great car has such a bad issue!

Thanks anyway

Old 08-13-2009, 11:41 AM
1st Gear

As long as you don't notice anything going terribly wrong you should be fine. On my car it only does it if i'm driving for extended periods. But the coolant is good, nothing is over-heating, so nothing is wrong mechanically.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:39 PM
1st Gear

If possible, manually close the heating vents to that area to rule out any problems with that system, like vacuum leaks.
Could be a vent door isn't closing and the heat is being sent to the leg area for the driver and passenger.
Make sure you turn off AUTO, the air conditioner, temps to 0 degrees on the environmental controls, and turn off the Air Recycler - you want fresh air coming in, if any.
At this point, you should be able to determine for sure that it either is or is not the environmental or vacuum/vent system.
Now it is also possible that what you are getting is heat coming through the doghouse off the back of the engine. If that's the case, there might be some insulation/heat shield missing.
Good luck.