Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!! need help programing my new key and remote!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 12:32 AM
Default HELP!!! need help programing my new key and remote!!!

Hey everyone!

I am fairly new to this forum and am in dire ned of help... i have a 2003 audi a4 1.8t and i bought a new remote and key blank off ebay...i got the key cut, but my car dies when i try to start it with the new key!!! i dont have a manual... and i can't find out how to program my key and remote to work! any help would be so appreciated!

thanks in advance for your help-

Mike

Old 08-10-2006, 02:08 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: HELP!!! need help programing my new key and remote!!!

This may not be any help at all. I just bought a used Audi and the previous owner gave me a little sheet on programming the keys, although I don't know if its just for the FOB or if it would effect ignition at all. Also, my car is a 98 so who knows if this would work for you or not. I will post the directions, it can't hurt to try it.

1. Take one key and put it in the ignition and turn the ignition ON or to accessory position (not to the point of starting the car)

2. Close and lock the drivers door with the second key (while the ignition remains in the accessory position)

3. Take the first remote and press the UNLOCK button ONCE only - alarm will beep (or lights will flash depending on year/make) but door will
remain locked.

4. With the key, unlock and lock the door again

5. Test the remote by pressing the UNLOCK button again - door should unlock

6. Open the door and turn ignition off and back on again using the first key

7. Continue the procedure for the second remote if needed (you can code up to 5 remotes to one particular vehicle ie there are 5 memory positions)

That is exactly what is written. These aren't the clearest directions I have ever read and I haven't tried it before. Give it a try and see if it works.
Note: If I am reading the directions right, I think you need to keep the window open so you can lean in and press UNLOCK on the FOB in the ignition while the door is locked from the outside (2-3) which sounds kind of stupid.
For your sake, I hope someone has some better directions than these.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:57 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: HELP!!! need help programing my new key and remote!!!

WHERE DID YOU GET THE KEY CUT????? I LOST ALL MY KEYS AND MY CAR IS LOCKED IN MY DRIVE WAY WITH MY WALLET IN IT!!!

Old 03-09-2009, 04:13 PM
1st Gear

You need to go to an Audi dealer to have the key chipped. They can't even do it a a VW dealer. The service guy I talked to at Auburn VW in Washington state told me that programing the key (not the remote) and warranty work are the only things that need to be done specifically at and Audi dealer.........

Old 03-09-2009, 04:32 PM
1st Gear
Default new key

Your car is a 2003 that means you have emobilizer you can use the above post to program your remote to lock and unlock your doors but you must take it to the dealer to have the key programed for the emobilizer to work that is why your car will not run with the new key. some dealers are a huge pain about this if you didn't buy the key from them they wont program it, depends on the dealer.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:21 PM
1st Gear

After replacing the key remote battery, I followed the above directions for my 2003 A4, and once done, the remote would only unlock the doors once until I put the newly programmed key back into the ignition for a few seconds and turning to the run (not start) position. Then everything synced, and the remote worked fine again.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:55 AM
1st Gear

TDRILL - thanks. I had tried so many instructions to do this, but the trick was to press the remote on the key in the ignition and it worked. Strange though that when I tried to program the other remote, it worked, but the first one stopped working. Oh well, I only need one key. Thank you.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:04 AM
1st Gear

For a 2003 Audi A4, all you need to do to program your remote is the following:
Sit in drivers seat with key/remote in your hand.
Press unlock once on remote.
Insert key into ignition and turn to position #2.
Turn car off and remove key.
Press unlock/lock again and you're done.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:29 PM
1st Gear

Thanks this totally works!! The last time I had to reprogram I followed some long convoluted instructions. This was so simple I thought it can't possibly work but sure enough it worked perfectly :-)

Old 02-18-2015, 03:42 AM
1st Gear

Lol .

Quick Reply: HELP!!! need help programing my new key and remote!!!