Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help plz. I am new to Audi. Buying 1st time.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:24 PM
1st Gear
Default Help plz. I am new to Audi. Buying 1st time.

hey guys. i really need your expert advise and knowledges about a4's.

i want to buy an audi a4 from this one guy. the audi is a 2001 a4 2.8L 60k miles.

but the a4 has a few problems.....

1st. cracked windshield in two spots. ( basically i would have to replace the whole thing)
2nd. black scratches on the front bumper of a silver car. ( he says parking garage damange i guess)
3rd. cheak light for car clicked on ( he says its the 60k service light).
4th. tags expired

what would you guys pay for a car in this condition?

my last question is that does the year of the a4 matter? as long as the a4 body style is from the generation i want with low miles that the only thing that matters right??

I hope my questions aren't stupid.

Thanks guys

Old 10-29-2007, 08:29 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Help plz. I am new to Audi. Buying 1st time.

The Check engine light doesn't go on to tell you that you need routine service. It means there is some kind of problem. Those are pretty low miles for a B5 A4. I would by it for around 8-10k depending if the CEL indicates a large problem. The '01 is the last year of that body style. Just remember that you really don't have any options for performance mods except the pricey S/C

Old 10-29-2007, 08:29 PM

haha they aren't stupid questions.

check engine light is not for 60k service, he lied about that. unless its the center cluster that says Service. but if its the check engine light then there is an actual problem with the car.

have you test drove the car, did it run good?

Old 10-29-2007, 08:30 PM
1st Gear

Cracked windshield can be no problem depending on insurance. A lot of policies have little to no deductible on glass. On the bumper, are they abrasions or material transfer from something else? Check engine light is different from the service light, get it to a VAG-COM and check that out. Tags expired - the previous owner didn't renew his registration? That shouldn't matter. That's pretty good mileage for the year, as long as the check engine light is nothing serious, I'd say 12k is a reasonable price.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:35 PM

kbb.com states that a good condition model of a 2001 2.8 A4 is $13,700.

i don't know what hes asking for it but 11-12k would be reasonable.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:57 PM
1st Gear

hey guys again.

wow i really appreciate the speedy response and awsome knowledge!. I will defintily keep learning from this site.

one more quick question, so there are two lights? engine light and service light?

Old 10-29-2007, 08:58 PM
3rd Gear

i guess without tags you can't bring it to autozone or somewhere to get the code pulled for free. maybe if you leave them your license and cash or a credit card they will let you borrow it for a half hour. then get the CEL code and post it here. someone may be able to help diagnose what could be wrong with it. it may just be a smallvacuum leak that needs a $0.50 vacuum line replaced, or it could be real serious. don't gamble on it, especially if it doesn't seem to be running right.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:01 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: northcheels

hey guys again.

wow i really appreciate the speedy response and awsome knowledge!. I will defintily keep learning from this site.

one more quick question, so there are two lights? engine light and service light?
the check engine light will show up inside your speedometer. the service light actually says "serivce engine soon' or something like that in the light panel between the speedometer and tachometer, where the radio station, temperature, average mpg, average speed, and other indicators are displayed.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:45 PM
3rd Gear

the "service soon" will show up on your trip computer on start up and when you shift into gear. It will say "service in x amount of miles" 13.5k for an '01 2.8 is waaaaaaaaaay off. I mean, the miles are lower, but not amazing. Just out of curiousity....where do you guys live? The average price of an '01 around the chicagoland area is about 10k or less depending on miles.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:06 PM
tdn
2nd Gear

Just curious, how much is the owner asking? I bought an 01 with 58k in August for $10k flat, not a scratch on it, paint looks brand new.. sport package, winter package and premium. The kbb was like $13500-14000.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help plz. I am new to Audi. Buying 1st time.