Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! Rough idle blinking CEL.. car still runs but like sh*t

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 11:13 PM
2nd Gear
Default HELP!! Rough idle blinking CEL.. car still runs but like sh*t

I was drving normal and all the sudden my car bogged down and almost complete loss of power and my CEL starts to blink so i immediatley limp to the side of the road and turn off the car..
I pulled code P1612 Electronic Control Module Incorrect Coding... I already stfa but didnt get a clear answer as to what is causing my car to idle hard while having a blinking CEL...
I already checked my TIP, boost lines, airbox and my intake mani hoses and everything was secure...I also unplugged my ecu and nothing.. Only thing I havent been able to check was the pipe that connects to the DV and runs in front of the car that goes across to the SMIC...
Anybody have an idea on what it could be? Its a 2001 1.8T

TIA

Old 05-25-2007, 11:15 PM
Administrator
Default RE: HELP!! Rough idle blinking CEL.. car still runs but like sh*t

Hmm normally I would say it would be a Coilpack, but having that code come up is a little weird.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:18 PM
2nd Gear

I also got p301 which is a misfire in cyl. 1 so I swapped CP with cyl. 2 prob went away still got blinking CEL and just the P1612..
Is there a recode I have to do I am completely lost Ive been searching all the audiforums all day and havent came up with a legit answer only thing that came close was new N112 or intake leak...
TIA

Old 05-25-2007, 11:19 PM
Administrator

You might not have had enough misfires to trip the CEL.. do you have VAG COM? If so you can count the misfires.. and if they start popping up in Cylinder #2 then you know whatsup.. it wouldnt hurt either to pick up a spare coilpack, I would throw it in and see if that helps.. if it doesnt at least you have a spare

Old 05-25-2007, 11:22 PM
2nd Gear

I did that too I popped in a brand new CP and the sam thing happend so I checked my plugs and cyl. 1 had fluid on it (dunno if thats normal) cyl. 2 looked burnt I really dont know how there suppose to look but they are a week old and they are the NGKbkr6e gapped .28

Thanks for all the help

Old 05-25-2007, 11:26 PM
Administrator

Why are they gapped at .28? Isnt the factory gap .32??

What other mods are you running?

Old 05-25-2007, 11:31 PM
2nd Gear

as far as engine.. I have custom exhaust, gaic X file, forge 007, airbox mod, and ngk plugs other than that everything is stock.. I really have no idea on what it could be rough idle smell of gas out out of my exhaust and my car sounds like a subaru sti blinking CEL..

Old 05-25-2007, 11:34 PM
Administrator

I would log the misfires to see what cylinder exactly is misfiring, then mark the coilpacks with numbers, and swap the misfiring one around, and log again.. or swap them all around to be sure, but this way you know which cylinder is misfire, and then we can eliminate the idea that its a CP

Old 05-25-2007, 11:39 PM
2nd Gear

My buddy had a brand new coilpack so I called him up and I installed it in my car and the misfire code went away.. I also took the plug out of cylinder 2 and swapped with 1 just to be sure and there was no more code all i got was p1612 Electronic Control Module Incorrect Coding

thank you redgoat for helping me

Old 05-25-2007, 11:43 PM
Administrator

No problem.. i seriously wonder about that other code though... you said you unplugged your ECU? Did you get this code before or after your reset it?

Quick Reply: HELP!! Rough idle blinking CEL.. car still runs but like sh*t