Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help w/ suspention

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 11:05 PM
Default Help w/ suspention

I have an 1996 A4, 2.8L V6... I know its not the quattro but I still love my car! I am new to audi and so i am a self proclamed newb. I bought my car used for a great deal, because it needed a little TLC. I fixed some things on it but I have one issue that is driving me crazy and hoped all you knowlegable audi people could help me. Here is the problem; when ever I am driving a little slower parking lots and the likes i get a really bad sound from the front of my car, its sort of hard to explain its kind of a squeeky sound.... you know like old beater make that no one ever fixes eeerer.... eeeerer..... like i said hard to explain. I have my suspitions that it may be the springs but I could be way off that why i am asking you guys. Thanks for any help.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:16 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: Help w/ suspention

make sure the sound isn't the serpentine belt first. as for the suspension, the squeaking would mean ur upper control arms are shot. drive around sum more and hit sum pot holes on purpose to see if ur lower ones are ok. u should hear like clink or clunk for the lower control arms if they're bad. also try having ur car parked and started and turn the steering wheel. if it goes eeeereer, it's ur power steering. if ur springs are broken, u should see rly weird wear in the tires and shaking aat higher speeds. im willing to bet it's ur upper control arms. ebay has a whole set of upper and lower control, with sway bar link and tie rods for $300. and try twisting ur upper control arms to see if they got alot of play. u'll be able to tell which ones are good or bad. and make sure u got sum Pb blaster ready. had to replace ma spindle bracket too when i did mine cuz one of the bolts that held the control arm to spindle was rusted on. have fun, it's a long job even with air tools.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:23 PM
1st Gear

my 96 a4 2.8 did the same thing, i replaced the whole front end and it stoped, it most likely is the control arms or some other part of the 12 point suspension. the entire front end kit is around 300$, its worth it. technicaly it should be done every 80 thousand miles, so its probably your cars time.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:57 PM

ok ill see if maybe that will fix it, thanks