Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Winding noise and chirp - turbo problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 07:54 PM
1st Gear
Default HELP! Winding noise and chirp - turbo problem?

Hello all,
My 1997 A4 1.8T fwd has started to make a high-pitched noise that winds up as the car accelerates, and is followed by an occasional chirping noise. The noise does not happen while revving the car in neutral. I have noticed power loss, but it seems that sometimes the turbo will kick in briefly. Last time I drove the car, I noticed a large cloud of smoke at initial acceleration. The oil indicator light came on soon thereafter, and the car has been sitting in my driveway since. Any ideas????? Thanks so much,
Rob

Old 03-03-2005, 07:56 PM
6th Gear
Default RE: HELP! Winding noise and chirp - turbo problem?

yeah sounds like a toasted turbo. What color is the smoke?

Old 03-03-2005, 08:22 PM
1st Gear

Smoke was whitish, but the sound doesn't really appear to be the "tin can full of BBs" that others have described. No chance that a bad DV could cause this, eh? Ahh, I really should get used to these thousand-dollar repairs every 6-9 months...blast. Also, if I need a turbo, any chance I could install that? Probably not... Anyways thanks a lot for the input I've noticed that you've given a lot of helpful info on other posts!

Old 03-03-2005, 09:31 PM
1st Gear

Sorry another quick question - Will any K03 fit my car? i.e., will a K03 from a jetta or passat work? My audi also has the sport package.

Old 03-03-2005, 10:51 PM
6th Gear

Why not install a k04 turbo (direct swap) plus some extra hp. PM doose, he's swapped his himself.

Old 03-04-2005, 07:26 PM
1st Gear

Jeeez, Jest, you must think I'm some kind of millionaire....try college student with maxed out credit cards [:'(] Anyways, I've found a K03 from an '02 VW with a 20V 1.8T online...will this fit my '97 A4?? Thanks again for all the help...I'll be spending my spring break in the parking lot of my apartment complex with a wrench.

Old 03-04-2005, 07:32 PM
6th Gear

I'm not sure if it will fit or not. I would lean toward not, but it may. What kind of prices were you seeing?

Old 03-04-2005, 07:45 PM

the turbo u are looking at is that from a passat or golf/jetta if it is from a golf/jetta it will not work nut if it is from a passat It will work I have a K03 forsale with 140 kilometers on it pm me if you are interested this will fit on your car no problem

Old 03-04-2005, 08:06 PM
1st Gear

The prices I'm seeing are around $400 - I've done a lot of research looking for a reasonably priced K03 that will fit my car though, and I am having problems identifying which ones will actually fit my car. I've seen a lot of K03's for VW, etc... Any ideas on a good place to buy one? Cheapest new one I've seen online is $693.

Old 03-06-2005, 08:54 PM
1st Gear
Default Replacing my turbocharger this week, any help appreciated

Well the week of working on the car has started...I've removed parts of the airbox to give me better access to the turbo, and have started disconnecting other related hoses. I look kindof stuck at this point...has anyone out there been able to remove the K03 (1997 fwd auto) from above, without removing the front bumper/radiator/all that? Maybe I can just remove the fan assembly behind the radiator to get more room to work down there? Any help is greatly appreciated...

Quick Reply: HELP! Winding noise and chirp - turbo problem?