Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High mileage for a chip?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 11:05 PM
1st Gear
Default High mileage for a chip?

I have an A4-1.8Ti, the 2000 model, with 84.000 miles on it ( 120.000KM) is it too late for a chip MOD? Is it going to damage the engine in any way? Or should I just go for it?

thanks

Old 07-12-2004, 11:46 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: High mileage for a chip?

Welcome uomoa4!!

Go for it!
Just remember that with any chip mod you need to support the engine with a better DV and you may want to get a boost gauge to monitor the boost/vacuum.
You always risk damage, but with mature behavior and disciplined maintenance you will reduce the risk.

Check the archives on this subject. There is a lot of info on chipping.

By the way: Since you're new to the forum, please go to the "START HERE!" post (click here) and read up on the lingo. That way you'll have a broader base of knowledge and will be able to ask informed questions.

Old 07-13-2004, 12:09 AM
2nd Gear

Get the apr chip and the two programs like an extra $119. But, you can run stock and chipped through your cruise control and still retain your cruise control. So if you wana have fun just hold the cruise control for like 5 seconds and your car will be chipped, somethin like that. Like imolas4 said get a diverter valve so you can hold the boost. OEM diverter valve is only good for like 12.xxx lbs of boost without leaking, i believe.

Old 07-13-2004, 12:36 AM
3rd Gear

Just search the archives and get back to me after you do some reading. Learn about the issues first.

Don't worry about brands for now. We can always give our two cents on which brand to get, but that's not important yet. You need to understand the principles first.

Old 07-13-2004, 12:37 AM
3rd Gear

By the way uomoa4:

Where are you located? Judging by your Km reference, you're not in the States.

Old 07-13-2004, 12:42 AM
2nd Gear

Welcome to the forum! I chipped mine at 90,000 miles. Absolutely agree with imolas4 on the maintenance, really important on these engines, proper and regular maintenance can really avoid costly repairs. The more you mod these engines the more important that prevent maintenance is. I am even a bit more aggressive than the factory reccomendations on many things.

Old 07-13-2004, 12:49 AM
3rd Gear

Well said Doose.
If you can do the maintenance early - do it!

Old 07-13-2004, 02:53 PM
1st Gear

Thanks guys, I'll go read the "welcome"section.
I live in the Bay Area, (California), with this car I started doing maintenance work (really basic). I guess when you really like something you want to take care of it yourself. Add the fact the the local Audi dealer here asks hundred of dollars just to "look" at your car....and you realize where I am coming from.

Old 07-13-2004, 03:01 PM
Site Moderator

meh...

I chipped at 75K and now at 113K miles. Car runs like a champ - but only because I take care of it. Preventative maintenance is the key. Modding you car requires more knowledge than the avg Audi owner.

Old 07-13-2004, 06:25 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: brrman
....Modding you car requires more knowledge than the avg Audi owner.
Yep... oh so true. It's a learning curve that keeps stretching!

Quick Reply: High mileage for a chip?