Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hot engine starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 12:10 AM
1st Gear
Default hot engine starting problems

i'm having problems with starting my car when the engine is hot. like if i drive for a few miles and then stop the car and start it like 5 minutes later, it won't start. the starter would crank but engine wouldn't catch on.
i have to wait like 20-30 minutes and then it starts OK.
the engine also seems to rev pretty high at idle if the car's been running for a while. i don't know if it's related to the non-starting problem.
any guesses as to what i should open first?
thanks.

Old 06-25-2004, 12:17 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: hot engine starting problems

How many miles and what model is it? What maintenance have you had done to it?

Old 06-25-2004, 03:30 AM
3rd Gear

Have the MAF checked as well as the coolant sensor switch (this you should swap out for the new OE replacement ($5 and 5 minutes DIY)).
Coilpacks may also need to be checked, but start with the MAF.

Old 06-25-2004, 11:55 AM
1st Gear

sdaudi

i have the exact same problem. my local mechanic says mass airflow sensor.....the audi dealer says its the coolant sensor switch. Thank god mine is certified used and still under warranty. the car will start if you just let keep cranking it and then when it feels like its trying to start just let off of the key and it will slowly come to an idle. i have an appointment next week to get the coolant sensor replaced first. they want to see if it is that, if its not that then they said they would order a MAF sensor. did you get a check engine light come on yet? mine JUST came on yesterday and then went off after a while. the dealership says that the computer keeps those codes stored in its memory and when i bring the car back to them they will be able to tell what was going on. is that true anybody?

my car is a 1999 Audi A4 Quatrro 2.8 V6 with 63k miles on it. i've not done any maintenance yet to the engine other than regular oil changes, air filter changes. i am replacing the spark plug wires and spark plugs this weekend.

Old 06-25-2004, 12:06 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: dagowv

sdaudi

i have the exact same problem. my local mechanic says mass airflow sensor.....the audi dealer says its the coolant sensor switch. Thank god mine is certified used and still under warranty. the car will start if you just let keep cranking it and then when it feels like its trying to start just let off of the key and it will slowly come to an idle. i have an appointment next week to get the coolant sensor replaced first. they want to see if it is that, if its not that then they said they would order a MAF sensor. did you get a check engine light come on yet? mine JUST came on yesterday and then went off after a while. the dealership says that the computer keeps those codes stored in its memory and when i bring the car back to them they will be able to tell what was going on. is that true anybody?

my car is a 1999 Audi A4 Quatrro 2.8 V6 with 63k miles on it. i've not done any maintenance yet to the engine other than regular oil changes, air filter changes. i am replacing the spark plug wires and spark plugs this weekend.
Yes, that's true. If you have a VAG-COM, or access to one, then you can read the codes yourself.

Both the dealer and mechanic are concluding what I said above. I think it's probably the MAF, but the coolant sensor switch should be updated anyway. There was a new OE replacement released last year because some of the earlier models were/are failing.

As I said before, the coolant sensor switch is a very easy DIY, 5 minute job that costs less than $5. The MAF is easy to replace (15 minutes), but it is a costly part. I have heard of the MAF costing around $200, but some units have been sold for as much as $400+.

Old 06-25-2004, 03:39 PM
1st Gear

i'll try replacing the coolant and MAF sensor this weekend.
it's a 2000 1.8t. i bought it used few months. i haven't had to do any maintainence except for oil change so far.

Old 06-25-2004, 03:53 PM
3rd Gear

The coolant sensor switch is very easy and fast, but I'd suggest you take your time.
Here are a few of my tips for the job:

1. There is a small, thin plastic clip that holds the sensor to the housing. It is "U" shaped. Be careful to pull it straight out - not up. You don't want to snap the clip by accident. There is a greater risk of breaking it when you re-install the clip.

2. Keep an eye out for the old rubber o-ring - it may come off with the sensor or it may stay inside the housing.

3. When you pull the old sensor out, try not to use or pull up on the wires - they could break.

4. Lastly, don't worry about some coolant spillage; it will be minimal and not needed to be replaced.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:08 AM
1st Gear
Default Update

Guys, any update on what resolved this problem for you?

I have the same when the car is hot only...cleaned the MAF and replaced the Temp Sensor.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:28 AM
1st Gear

i had the same problem on my 97 a4 i change the coolant temp sensor and the maf sensor and that fix it hope it works out for you

Old 07-02-2019, 05:53 PM
1st Gear
Default Hope this helps

I know this is old but I hope this help out someone! The “crank position sensor”was my problem my car would die after just getting warm and would not start until cool off completely!

Quick Reply: hot engine starting problems