Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to approach buying this car...?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 03:03 PM
Default How to approach buying this car...?

I live in central MA and I am very strongly considering buying this A4 1.8T Quattro up in Burlington VT. It's about a two-and-a half hour drive up there.

Its a 1999.5 with 100,600 even miles. Read below, its worth it (to read). I just want to know what I should do because I live 150 miles away and can't get my mechanic to look at it. And I'm not going to ask the guy if i can bring it back home to get it checked out, because if i was him i'd say no.. maybe if I give him a deposit. I just need some Audi owners' opinions. He says the turbo is in good shape. But how would I know? 100k is more than what I wanted to get as well..The car is immaculate but he is sending more pictures tonight or tomorrow.

"The car has 100,500 miles of highway driving. The first two owners used it as a business commuter and I only use it for highway trips. The oil has been changed religiously every 3000 miles with Mobile 1 fully synthetic and an oversized German oil filter used. The timing belt/water pump service is current. I do 75% of my driving with my old Audi 4000. This car is not driven in the winter or the salt and it shows. Within the last 5000 miles I have replaced: -ALL front control arms and ball joints -all new Brembo cross drilled and slotted brake rotors with new Mintex pads -all new 215/50/16 Dunlop Dirrezza performance tires -4 wheel alignment (still have 6 months left on the warranty) -New Battery This car also has a couple of mild/tasteful mods -APR chipped ecu (200 hp/240 lbs of torque) -APR full stainless steel turbo back exhaust- less than 18 months old w/ lifetime replacement warranty (cost $1000 -K&N Filter Basic Specs: -1.8 turbo -5 speed -heated seats -sport package -Bose Concert Stereo (w/ factory 6 CD changer) -all wheel drive -Remote Keyless Entry You will not find a cleaner a4 for the money, come and see for yourself. I may be open to reasonable offers, so feel free to talk to me. "

Old 11-28-2007, 03:10 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: How to approach buying this car...?

Have him meet youat a local APR dealer to have it checked out, since it has some APR mods on it. I believe there is one in Bomoseen,VTwhich is maybe 40 minutes south of Burlington. Give him a deposit to let him know you are serious and tell him you have a deal if everything checks out ok.
From the sound of it, it looks like you would be getting a very well maintained vehicle.
Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:18 PM

that's an excellent idea. I just checked the APR site and that is where they are located in Vermont. I appreciate your help dude, I want the car.. how much hp you think I will have at the wheels? He told me on the phone that it isn't a 'true' turbo back exhaust, because the cat is where the downpipes should be? IDK.. he said the cat is a foot behind the turbo.. I have no idea about Audi's and their deutsche tactics. thanks!!!

Old 11-28-2007, 03:42 PM

come on audi lurkers

Old 11-28-2007, 03:55 PM
2nd Gear

a "cat back" exhaust is from the catalytic converter back

a "turbo back" is straight from the turbo back, usually a gutted cat or test pipe (straight pipe) replacing the cat... this is illegal by the way butu know how it go....

sounds well maintained, u will need receipts where has has had all that recent work done and have the mechanic check out the engine and front suspension, i hear b5's have some control arm problems...sounds like he has that covered...

mechanic will probably charge about $100 to give it a good inspection and well worth it

Old 11-28-2007, 03:59 PM
3rd Gear

ya man i would definately go after the APR shop. It would be the best way to get it looked at and kinda meet half way on it too.... good luck and post some pics if you get it

Old 11-28-2007, 04:34 PM

how much hp am I looking at?? I checked the 99 a4 comes with 150hp and 150 tq or something which is pretty weak, since i drive a maxima that is stock with 190/205 crank

also to the post up above, he told me that there were no downpipes.. i figured there were downpipes since he said it was a turbo back, but he just went on to say that the cat is a foot behind the turbo, so i can still get downpipes?

Old 11-28-2007, 05:10 PM
1st Gear

Any type of altered exhaust cat back turbo back is illegal in massachusetts so it doesnt matter which ever one it is haha.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:32 PM
1st Gear

but APR probably adjusted the fault codes so that it would pass emmisions tests........
With the chip and exhaust you are probably around 215hp at the crank, which is really good considering that car started with 150hp........so for roughly a $1500 investment your hp jumped up about 43%. As far as HP at the wheels, I would guess between 140-150.....a lot of power gets lost to the wheels with quattro, but trust me that car will feel plenty quick. I believe for that year vehicle only the 91 octane program was available so just make sure you use 91 octane as a minimum.....would suggest using 93. Trust me, it makes a difference.........I have the 93 program and without thinking I filled my tank with 92 octane one time and the car ran like $hit.

Also, if APR checks it out....have them check if they installed multiple programs on the car.

Good luck man, and welcome to the family!!!!! And let's see some pics when you get it.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:34 PM
1st Gear

by the way, you'll eat your Maxima for lunch......

Quick Reply: How to approach buying this car...?