Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How did my automatic Audi A4 2.0T Quattro lose against a manual Mazda 3 hatcback

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 03:17 PM
1st Gear
Default How did my automatic Audi A4 2.0T Quattro lose against a manual Mazda 3 hatcback

Is there a way I am supposed to race an automatic A4? We were both at a full stop on a red light, I set my audi in the "S" gear, and stepped on the gas. We were both side to side for a good 5 seconds, and then he got three car distances away from me within about roughly 4 of being next to each other.

When we stopped for the second, I tried putting the vehicle into "D" first, and then switching to "S" I still ended with the same result.

I mean, an Audi A4 should easily beat a Mazda 3, right? When I talked to the guy who was in the Mazda, he said I lost because my Audi A4 wasn't manual.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:28 PM
1st Gear

What year A4 and which generation Mazda3 (i.e. first or *fugly* second)?

Last edited by shipo; 04-17-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:38 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by shipo
What year A4 and which generation Mazda3 (i.e. first or *fugly* second)?
07 A4, he had the second gen Mazda3, I just remembered him telling me he also said he had 260 Horsepower, I guess that's why I lost.

Time to invest into an S4.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:40 PM
1st Gear

As an add-on to my previous post, if you're comparing say a 2006 A4 2.0T Quattro with the Tiptronic to say a 2012 Mazda3 5-Door with the 6-Speed manual, then it wouldn't surprise me that you got whooped. Yes, the Audi has more horsepower and torque (33 and 39 respectively), but it also has to contend with a power sapping slushbox transmission, an extra 600+ pounds of weight, slightly "taller" gearing, and to a lesser degree, the extra drive train loss of the Quattro system.

It is likely that the Mazda driver is correct, had your car been equipped with a manual transmission, you might have had a fighting chance.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:42 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by eliteplague
07 A4, he had the second gen Mazda3, I just remembered him telling me he also said he had 260 Horsepower, I guess that's why I lost.

Time to invest into an S4.
Ahhh, you missed a key point in your original description; it sounds like you chose to race not a Mazda3 5-Door, but a MazdaSpeed3. Assuming that's the case then even a stick wouldn't have helped you.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:32 PM
1st Gear

Need a better driver in the Audi that's all just kidding ya the Mazda woulda got you anyways if urs was even stick. Go buy an s4 or get a a4 that's stick an mod the f** out of it.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:18 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by eliteplague
Is there a way I am supposed to race an automatic A4? We were both at a full stop on a red light, I set my audi in the "S" gear, and stepped on the gas. We were both side to side for a good 5 seconds, and then he got three car distances away from me within about roughly 4 of being next to each other.

When we stopped for the second, I tried putting the vehicle into "D" first, and then switching to "S" I still ended with the same result.

I mean, an Audi A4 should easily beat a Mazda 3, right? When I talked to the guy who was in the Mazda, he said I lost because my Audi A4 wasn't manual.
you are trying to "race" an automatic car, there's your problem.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:43 AM
1st Gear

Wrong wrong Wrong stp ******* the OP because he race in an 6eat. ive seen forester 4eat smokes plenty of cars. You dont need to upgrae to s2. Crazy. How did you lose to a FWD man !!!!!! you are awd.

Anyway. Call your auto tuner maybe he may help. call cobb tuning if you have a place near you. If not there are plenty. Google tuning

Old 04-24-2012, 05:45 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by oceanwater48
Wrong wrong Wrong stp ******* the OP because he race in an 6eat. ive seen forester 4eat smokes plenty of cars. You dont need to upgrae to s2. Crazy. How did you lose to a FWD man !!!!!! you are awd.

Anyway. Call your auto tuner maybe he may help. call cobb tuning if you have a place near you. If not there are plenty. Google tuning
Sorry, but the OP didn't stand a chance against a MazdaSpeed3, and unless he builds the crap out of his A4 he'll lose each and every time.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:01 AM
1st Gear

who said he hav to build the crap out of his audi for it to smoke a madza ?

lol he could get a chip, e85 alcohol conversion, bigger fuel pump, bigger turbo, bigger injectors, and a tune that will put him in the 300+whp.
heck, he coud just get an e85 alcohol conversion, a chip and a tune.

So tell me, OP what does he needs to buy to smoke the crap out of a mazda?

Last edited by oceanwater48; 04-25-2012 at 06:04 AM.

Quick Reply: How did my automatic Audi A4 2.0T Quattro lose against a manual Mazda 3 hatcback