Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I know if my control arms are going?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 07:05 PM
2nd Gear
Default How do I know if my control arms are going?

I know this has probably been asked a million times (because I searched and got a million hits), but I notice a popping/clunking noise sometimes when I brake. Is that the brakes (I hope) or shifting in the control arms due to wear? No other symptoms are apparent; no play in the wheels when lifted off the ground.

TIA

Old 10-20-2005, 07:38 PM
6th Gear
Default RE: How do I know if my control arms are going?

Bad control arms usually cause squeaks, while bad tie rods usually cause clunking.

Old 10-20-2005, 10:49 PM
3rd Gear

Tie rods are easy and relatively cheap. That's probably your problem.

Old 10-21-2005, 12:11 AM
Administrator

Hope you get it sorted out.. let us know whats going on with it.. if it was the tie rods.. or if it was something else

Old 10-21-2005, 12:18 AM
2nd Gear

Thanks. I will keep that in mind. I had the tie rods replaced on my 99.5 A4 when I took it in for the control arm recall inspection. With the car on the lift, the mechanic let me actually move the wheel. I lifted this car (the 2001) with a floor jack and could not detect movement. I'll keep an eye on things.

Old 10-21-2005, 03:22 AM
1st Gear

I have the clunking. I replaced the tie rod ends (not the entire tie rod). I still have the clunking. I'm convinced it's the ball joints on my control arms. The joint in the tie rod end I removed was all sloppy (like a fat woman's gut.) I think my control arm ball joints are the same. But then again, I'm no mechanic.

Old 10-21-2005, 03:33 AM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: jukeit

I have the clunking. I replaced the tie rod ends (not the entire tie rod). I still have the clunking. I'm convinced it's the ball joints on my control arms. The joint in the tie rod end I removed was all sloppy (like a fat woman's gut.) I think my control arm ball joints are the same. But then again, I'm no mechanic.
ditto. it's gotta be either our control arms, or possibly the inner tre's, but control arms seems more likely

also, i noticed that with the tre clunk was very consistent, i always heard it over bumps, while the clunk that i have now (after replacing my outer tre's) only comes around sometimes.

Old 10-21-2005, 04:29 AM
3rd Gear

my control arms clunked. so this could be the prob as well. just check inside the wheel well there will be 2 control arms on the upper side. check the end bushings for any cracks or splitting.

Old 10-21-2005, 12:49 PM
1st Gear

My car is actually in the shop right now due to clunking(and the oil pressure switch was spitting oil all over my garage floor, but thats another story). Shop owner did the inspection himself and said it was the tie rod. I get my baby back sometime this afternoon (it goes in to be re-aligned today, tie rod is already replaced)

Old 10-21-2005, 02:14 PM

I have what you could call a "clunking" and you can even feel it in the brake pedal. Im going to replace my CV 1/2 Shaft. I dont want to replace just the CV joint... anyway could be either the inner or outter CV joint as well... CV 1/2 shaft is (for my 1.8T 99) 115$ + core... not too shabby.. and I will do it myself

Quick Reply: How do I know if my control arms are going?