Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydraulic fluid? Power steering fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 09:35 PM
1st Gear
Default Hydraulic fluid? Power steering fluid?

Alright so ive been reading past posts, still havent really found what i was looking for. Im new to the site and new to the Audi family as well. Dont remember where but i read we needed hydraulic fluid, not power steering fluid for our cars. So two parter question:

1. Other than the dealerships wheres the best place to buy it? And how much does it normally cost? So far ive read that G 002 is the best kind as well, is this true (1998 audi A4, 2.8 Quattro)

2. I seem to be burning through it rather fast. When i purchased the car a month back it was fine, and then it started making that noise (a week after i got it) when your putting stress through the turns, that nasty grinding sound. Well about a week ago I put on some new wheels and mentioned it to the mechanic, he must have replaced the fluid because it went away. Now its back again and worse i believe. Sorry for the long post, anyways, what could be going on with it? Its not leaking i know that, i would have seen a stain or something since i park in the same place everynight. If anyone could answer a couple of these that would be great

Old 03-31-2005, 09:45 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Hydraulic fluid? Power steering fluid?

1. online - Pentosin CHF 11S is what our car takes.

2. Check the hoses - where they attach to the reservoir - many times the hoses have deteriorated there and are leaking.
When you get the noise, it means you are low on fluid. It may not be leaking unless under load (ie steering) which would explain the lack of fluid in your driveway.

Old 03-31-2005, 10:10 PM
4th Gear

Ummmm, what did your mechanic replace it with. If he used power steering fluid, rather than either Audi or Pentosin, you should drain it out ASAP before the seals swell and your steering rack goes.

Old 03-31-2005, 10:15 PM
Site Moderator

yeah - if he put the wrong stuff in, it will burn up your pump and ruin your seals.