Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Infinity Basslink, any good?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 08:25 AM
ddd
1st Gear
Default Infinity Basslink, any good?

I have tried and heard that all powered subs don't sound good. Guess thats a well known fact. Recently a friend told me about the Infinity Basslink subs. He said he has tried them and they sound pretty good. I will try it out next week. Has anyone tried them? Are they any good. I know it would be advisable to buy a seperate amp and sub, but I'm hoping if these do sound good to use them instead. I will be able to keep trunk space and installation would be simple. If anyone has tried them please give me feedback

Old 04-08-2006, 03:00 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Infinity Basslink, any good?

here try this out

https://www.audiforums.com/m_247192/tm.htm

Old 04-08-2006, 06:16 PM
1st Gear

I have one installed in my Volvo (not my Audi). I just had it installed a few weeks ago and I love it!
If you're looking to wake up the neighborhood, it's not for you. It will give you solid bass at moderately high levels.
I have it connected by tapping into the speaker terminals on the rear deck. If you have a direct sub link, the sound will be even better.
What type of system do you have currently?

Old 04-09-2006, 04:32 AM
2nd Gear

I hear the basslink sounds preety nice...as well as bumps nice too. I have a kenwood woox powered sub with a 5.25 sub and a 6.5 pasive radiator and it worked great in my DSM, I cant wait to do it in my audi. I would recomend doing dynomat or something like it for better sound and fight rattles.

The reason people say that powered subs sound like *** is that they turn them to the max. When mine was turned to the max it sounded like *** but turned to its limits sounded great. Most powered subs arent supposed bump like dual 12s and people think that. Most minus the basslink are meant to compliment the stereo and give you a nice bump. But like I said I have heard ones that will bump pretty hard.

Old 04-09-2006, 08:55 AM
ddd
1st Gear

Thanks for the info, I will listen to the basslink next week. Even from the reviews i have seen on the net, I have not heard anything bad about them. And if I get them, it won't take up too much space in my trunk. The last sub box I had in my previous car took half of my trunk. Although it sounded really good.

Old 04-09-2006, 09:24 AM
1st Gear

mind if i ask why you want a powered sub and not seperate woofer/amp route? installation takes just as much except adding one speaker cable from the amp to the woofer.

I had a fosgate 300w rms amp pushing one 12" kappa perfect in a sealed box in my old car. if i wanted it too, it'd shake the crap out of the car, or if i wanted it to, i'd just add some nice bass to the tone. less deep bass w/ a single 10" as well as not taking up too much space. i recomend this route, as having the freedom to mix and match woofer and amp is far greater, and getting a good woofer w/ a good sensitivity will be much nicer to have. I don't know of an amp that doesn't have a built in cross over, and some even have high level inputs (speaker taps and not rca's).

Old 04-09-2006, 12:42 PM
ddd
1st Gear

The main reason is that a seperate sub and box takes up alot of space. In my previous car, which the 12 inch kicker and box took half of the trunk, everytime I got a flat, it was always hard to remove it to get to the spare tire. Even on long trips which I needed trunk space, I had to leave it home. Another reason is that I feel the a4s stock system has pretty good mids and highs and it just needs alittle bit of a low end. It would really be a simple install to add the basslink.

I still have the audition the basslink. If I am not satisfied, I might just not buy it and say what the heck.

Then get a 5 channel amp and sub box and change the stock speakers and just have a booming great time everytime a take
a drive!

Old 04-09-2006, 05:23 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: lbraasch

mind if i ask why you want a powered sub and not seperate woofer/amp route? installation takes just as much except adding one speaker cable from the amp to the woofer.

Reasons why people buy powered subs:
1. dont want to loos trunk space
2. much easier install(plug two rca's and connect to battery)
3. much easier to tune (but cant be as finely tuned)
4. just want to omplement their current audio system or add a little extra bass, not vibrate the entire block.

I would challenge the powered sub nay sayers to listen top a infinity basslink with a dynomatted car, tuned and set in the right position. It will suprise you how good it sounds and how hard it bumps.

Old 04-09-2006, 07:15 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: liquidxit2

4. just want to omplement their current audio system or add a little extra bass, not vibrate the entire block.

I would challenge the powered sub nay sayers to listen top a infinity basslink with a dynomatted car, tuned and set in the right position. It will suprise you how good it sounds and how hard it bumps.
I'm not naysaying powered subs completely, i think they're just over priced for the quality of goods you can get. My frist sub ever was a powered sub, so i feel i have some reference in this area.

As for losing trunk space, I'll agree here. Sub boxes take a lot of space and unless you make a custom fiberglass one to optimize the space, you're gonna sacrifice some space, however, audi trunks can fit like 4 bodies in there. I don't feel like you're sacrificing one for a 10" sealed box. that's one cubic foot you're gonna lose. not so bad.

Easier to install? Both need power lead, both need a ground, both need a remote wire, and both need a stereo tap, whether it be rca, or high level spekaer taps. No installation ease at all, unless you consider screwing a speaker into a wooden box hard. Both the amp, and the powered sub need to be mounted to the trunk w/ some self tapping screws, so there is no real extra ease.

Easier to tune? Possibly. That is only b/c of the possible extra options a woofer/box can add. If soemoen were to just go wiht the simple punchy sealed box and a quality 10" or 12" woofer, the extra tuning wouldn't do anything or be neccessary, as the SQ will still be better than a powered sub.

It's a horrible assumption that every woofer/amp combo will shake the crap out of the neighborhood. I wired up my dad's m3 to have 2 8" fosgate woofers. Not much kick at all, just enough to suppliment the low end on the radio, which it lacked. You couldn't rattle the neighborhood if you wanted to.

As for accessing the spare, if you properly mount the amp out of the way, and run a long enough speaker wire, or quick connect banana plugs, you can easily pull out the sub box as easily as you would a duffle bag or anything else in the trunk which prevented access to the spare.

In all honesty, i feel like for the price you pay, you can get a much nicer setup than what a powered sub allows.

Old 04-10-2006, 12:20 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: liquidxit2

I'm not naysaying powered subs completely, i think they're just over priced for the quality of goods you can get. My frist sub ever was a powered sub, so i feel i have some reference in this area.

As for losing trunk space, I'll agree here. Sub boxes take a lot of space and unless you make a custom fiberglass one to optimize the space, you're gonna sacrifice some space, however, audi trunks can fit like 4 bodies in there. I don't feel like you're sacrificing one for a 10" sealed box. that's one cubic foot you're gonna lose. not so bad.

Easier to install? Both need power lead, both need a ground, both need a remote wire, and both need a stereo tap, whether it be rca, or high level spekaer taps. No installation ease at all, unless you consider screwing a speaker into a wooden box hard. Both the amp, and the powered sub need to be mounted to the trunk w/ some self tapping screws, so there is no real extra ease.

Easier to tune? Possibly. That is only b/c of the possible extra options a woofer/box can add. If soemoen were to just go wiht the simple punchy sealed box and a quality 10" or 12" woofer, the extra tuning wouldn't do anything or be neccessary, as the SQ will still be better than a powered sub.

It's a horrible assumption that every woofer/amp combo will shake the crap out of the neighborhood. I wired up my dad's m3 to have 2 8" fosgate woofers. Not much kick at all, just enough to suppliment the low end on the radio, which it lacked. You couldn't rattle the neighborhood if you wanted to.

As for accessing the spare, if you properly mount the amp out of the way, and run a long enough speaker wire, or quick connect banana plugs, you can easily pull out the sub box as easily as you would a duffle bag or anything else in the trunk which prevented access to the spare.

In all honesty, i feel like for the price you pay, you can get a much nicer setup than what a powered sub allows.

See Im not bashijng regular subs at all. Just merely saying they are harder to install and configure right. With a regular sub you have to mount in the box, wire it up, mount the amp and wire that up and then run power and ground and the input. Now with my powered sub I ran two wires, my rca's, and a power. the remote is attached already. so I plugged the 2 rca's and secured power and ground, turned the gain down a bit, and bam my sub was working. There isnt a non powered sub in the world that is that easy to install. But like I said they are meant for two different applications, regular subs are meant for all out power and tunability (but yes can be very docile), whereas my powered sub weighed about the same as a normal college text book. Thats all.

Quick Reply: Infinity Basslink, any good?