Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

insurance claim a4 auction

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 12:13 PM
1st Gear
Default insurance claim a4 auction

I am looking at picking up a 1999 A4 1.8 turbo (manual transmission) at auction next week. I have bought many cars in the past through this auction, including a 2000 Audi A4. Now, the problem is, this car looks to be in good shape, except for the passenger side tires. There are some scrapes and dings, but the major thing is that the back tire is blown. It also looks like the front wheel is somewhat cockeyed. In my experience, wheels are a pain to work with.

I am also a bit of a fanatic when it comes to maximizing fuel economy. I know that this car is no miser when it comes to sipping on the petrol. The EPA puts it at 23/32 if I am not mistaken. What are people on this forum achieving? If you are beating the EPA, what kind of mods or driving techniques are you using.

Last and not least, this (if I buy it) will be my first turbo-charged car. It has 115,000 miles on it, and looks to be in decent enough shape. My question then is, what can I expect as far as maintenance on this thing? Will I be looking at turbo-failure down the road? How much does a new clutch set you back? How reliable of a car is it? As the title is clear, what would you say is a decent price to to bid for a car like I have described? I am assuming about $1000 (rather high estimate probably) to fix it up to where you couldn't guess that it had been in a wreck.

I guess the first thing I need to do though is find out if it is fixable...

Old 05-09-2007, 12:25 PM
Default RE: insurance claim a4 auction

I get ~26 MPG in the summer. That is with all of the mods below and I drive very aggresively.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:55 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: 96audia4

I get ~26 MPG in the summer. That is with all of the mods below and I drive very aggresively.
so if you fill up you car with 15 gallons of gas you should be able to go 390 miles per tank… is this 90% highway driving? if not…. sorry but i have hard time believing it…

i think i’m under 20 mpg… best way to see accurate MPG is to fill up your car exactly 10 gallons of gas and see how long it will last you, then do same test 4-5 times…

Old 05-09-2007, 12:59 PM
2nd Gear

im looking at about 350 miles per 15 gallons with city driving Highway i get about 400 so do the math it isnt that bad

Old 05-09-2007, 01:14 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: ironman

im looking at about 350 miles per 15 gallons with city driving Highway i get about 400 so do the math it isnt that bad
that’s very good… i need to take some driving lessons from you guys…
ORIGINAL: Erdrick

I am looking at picking up a 1999 A4 1.8 turbo (manual transmission) at auction next week. I have bought many cars in the past through this auction, including a 2000 Audi A4. Now, the problem is, this car looks to be in good shape, except for the passenger side tires. There are some scrapes and dings, but the major thing is that the back tire is blown. It also looks like the front wheel is somewhat cockeyed. In my experience, wheels are a pain to work with.

I am also a bit of a fanatic when it comes to maximizing fuel economy. I know that this car is no miser when it comes to sipping on the petrol. The EPA puts it at 23/32 if I am not mistaken. What are people on this forum achieving? If you are beating the EPA, what kind of mods or driving techniques are you using.

Last and not least, this (if I buy it) will be my first turbo-charged car. It has 115,000 miles on it, and looks to be in decent enough shape. My question then is, what can I expect as far as maintenance on this thing? Will I be looking at turbo-failure down the road? How much does a new clutch set you back? How reliable of a car is it? As the title is clear, what would you say is a decent price to to bid for a car like I have described? I am assuming about $1000 (rather high estimate probably) to fix it up to where you couldn't guess that it had been in a wreck.

I guess the first thing I need to do though is find out if it is fixable...
It might be as simple as $60 alignment or go over 1k if you have to replace bended parts, but it all depends on what’s wrong with it, u will save a lot of $$ if you have access to audi junk yard and if you do work your self
Then most likely you don’t worry about you turbo it will last for a lot longer time… might need to replace cluch, it depends on the person who had this car before you, but even then clutch wont cost you that much…

Is this action something like iaai.com, if so bit at least 4k lower then blue book value. or is it open to public coz they a lot more expensive.

Old 05-10-2007, 04:15 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the info everyone. The mileage seems a little bit low, but I would probably be driving a little bit more conservatively than most people on this forum. From some peoples' point of view, driving a nice car like this for FE doesn't make sense. Basically, I just want a car that handles well, feels nice to drive, has power for when I need it, and is safe. Most FE-tuned cars don't have any of those features.

Sadly, the person who is checking out the car for me (back in the USA, as I am currently living in Japan) says that it looks like it is hit too hard to bother with. Oh well, perhaps another one will go through the auction again in the future sometime. Thanks to everyone for the info. Hopefully I will have a reason to use these boards again sometime.

Old 05-10-2007, 05:08 AM
3rd Gear

whack, your not even gonna get the car? lol... i know you gotta do whats best for yourslef but its just sad to see you go away from an audi... theyre so beautiful

Old 05-10-2007, 05:22 AM
1st Gear

AteUrV8: Trust me, the Audi A4 that I am looking at IS NOT beautiful. It was in a wreck and will take some work, money, and luck to get back into shape. We will see if my luck pans out, and if someone is willing to fix the suspension on it. Bodywork is something I can do. Suspension is another ballgame. I haven't ruled Audi out though. Even if I can't get the car that is going to auction, I might still just buy one used.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:45 AM
1st Gear

Well good luck bro,I hope you decide to get it or another one,I just bought my first audi and i love it,I was a little scepticle at first because of the expensive parts but working in the automotive field i know a few people,I love the way the car handles,Drives...everything....I hope it works out for ya...Check back and let us know

Old 05-10-2007, 07:56 AM
4th Gear

I'm getting a pathetic 300-320 miles to the tank with really really really really, aggressive driving. I'm still obsessed with my intake noise and find myself jumping on and off the gas constantly to hear it, and no, not for attention.. i probably do it more alone then near people. Haha, I'm convinced with good driving I can come near 400... No joke, I beat the hell out of it and I pull down 320 each week... so?

And thats with majority city driving

Quick Reply: insurance claim a4 auction