Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake, exhaust and chip, is that pretty much it for 3.0 performance mods?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 01:20 AM
1st Gear
Default Intake, exhaust and chip, is that pretty much it for 3.0 performance mods?

So after reading here https://www.audiforums.com/m_177186/tm.htm basically if you don’t want to supercharge and want to stay N/A, you have the option of intake, exhaust and chip correct? And all of which don’t make as much of a difference as they would on a 1.8? But once you have those three mods, you could say that you car has all the bolt ons? Is there anything else out there? Or is the aftermarket really that small. This does not really bother me because I am not getting a 3.0 to mod the hell out of it and race it, but I would not mind adding a few power adders, intake and exhaust would be mostly for sound and maybe a little increase in power, and I am pretty sure the chip is almost useless on the 3.0.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:39 AM
Default RE: Intake, exhaust and chip, is that pretty much it for 3.0 performance mods?

The chip just increases ignition timing and things like that to add a little more power to the N/A motor. The mods you listed are basically it for that motor unless you want to go into replacing the manifolds, but I'm not even sure if there are aftermarket manifolds for that motor yet.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:41 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: Intake, exhaust and chip, is that pretty much it for 3.0 performance mods?

You got your stuff right... sadly thats how it is if you go 3.0[&:]

Old 04-09-2007, 02:31 AM
1st Gear

Unless you want to try like a 50-100 shot of nos.

NO, its not going to blow up your car... It'll do as much damage to your engine as putting on a supercharger adding 50-100 hp to it..

I'd say a 50 or 75 shot would be just perfect... and its around $500 for the full setup.. Do you have a sub in your car? No? make a box to fit the tank into, run all the lines under the carpet, and through black tubes, and put the nozzle under the intake away from view, and the solonoids in a plastic box, and you have a stealth Nos system...

Just a suggestion.

Old 04-09-2007, 02:43 AM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: Andyrew

Unless you want to try like a 50-100 shot of nos.

NO, its not going to blow up your car... It'll do as much damage to your engine as putting on a supercharger adding 50-100 hp to it..

Just a suggestion.
I would say a 50-75 WET shot max. You will need a upgraded fuel pump also. If will be more than safe if you shoot it above 3000rpms.

Another suggestion would be to get a N/A water/meth injection. Then get a vag-com cable from ross-tech and increase the timing until the car starts pulling more timing than your adding. This would be a great way to increase timing 4-10* and adding a good 15-30hp by just running windshield wiper fluid.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:00 AM

I would rather have forced induction than nitrous. You never know what nitrous is going to do and it causes a hell of a lot more damage than boost to stock internals.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:05 AM
I'm make believe

its doing the same effing thing. you add more air and fuel, how again is that worse on the engine? The problem you have is an uneven distrabution into the cylinders, a direct port would solve that problem.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:14 AM

They both provide the same outcome which is adding more air and fuel into the motor but their means of doing it are slightly different. While a turbo/supercharger forces air into the motor, nitrous adds it by making the air more dense which provides more oxygen into the cylinder. When you add more pressure into the cylinder it increases the engines likelihood of detonation. It is a lot harder to work out the bugs of nitrous than it is a supercharger and if you don't melted pistons and valves are coming your way.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:25 AM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: Flip

.When you add more pressure into the cylinder it increases the engines likelihood of detonation.
last time i checked turbos/superchargers made power by pressure... i must be crazy.

Im not a nitrous guy by any means, but you are baseing all your facts of carnage on too much nitrous, not enough fuel and injecting the nitrous in the intake and not a direct port. Direct port will give enough fuel and nitrous in each cylinder and make running nitrous much safer.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:59 AM
1st Gear

I ment to say wet shot... Direct port would be nice.. but when your only running a 50 shot on a 230hp motor.. why?

Have you guys seen the dyno's from testers taking a junkyard sbc engine, getting a baseline, throwing a 150shot on it, and getting another baseline? They picked up 20 hp because the nitrous blew off all the carbon build up on the pistons and cleaned the system up... They eventually ran a 250 shot of nitrous on a stock 350sbc sucessfullyand finally tried to run a 350 shot.. but blew the engine..

IM not a nitrous guy either.... but the damn stuff works really well...

Water injection on a NA car is NOT the thing you want to do.. Im sorry.. but advancing the timing and all that jazz just isnt safe in my book.. IM all for it on a turbo (infact I have a SNOW performance system on my 944 turbo race car and love it..)

Quick Reply: Intake, exhaust and chip, is that pretty much it for 3.0 performance mods?