Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake/exhaust question[s]

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 01:04 AM
Default Intake/exhaust question[s]

Hey guys, first time posting here. I just had a question about intake/exhaust for my 2000 A4 1.8T; the other automotive forums I tend to lurk on suck for Audi-specific discussions.

Anyways, I was wondering if I could get some opinions and general advice on what some good, reliable rands for intake / exhaust systems are. Right now, I'm looking at Carbonio's intake; but it's $400, and that's pretty much me paying for the carbon fibre component. Is there another intake that's on-par with the quality of Carbonio's, but costs way less?

Also, for the exhaust, I'm looking at APR's cat back exhaust system but it's really pricey; and I'm not going to be tossing in a Stage 3 turbo anytime soon. Unfortunately, my ventures in exploring Audi parts has been unsuccessful, and so I think the best option is for me to talk it over with other A4 enthusiasts who know a plethora more than I do and hopefully get some solid advice. I appreciate and welcome all comments, thanks.

Related links: http://www.goapr.com/Audi/products/a...ust_a418t.html ; http://carbonio.com/a4/a4_b5_intake.php

Old 10-01-2007, 01:17 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Intake/exhaust question[s]

do you search my friend, anything without a resonator sounds like a person that lost his voice(annoying). about the intake you could get a cold air intake for like 150 and it will do the same job, but the carbino looks really nice thats all in my opinion

Old 10-01-2007, 01:28 AM

Yeah I searched. Is it annoying that I still want to get some opinions and talk it over, though? Sorry if it is.

I'm pretty comfortable with the APR exhaust, but the Carbonio intake is what I want to discuss. I'm sure there's a viable alternative out there, and I'm in the process of sifting through all the search results from this forum alone in hopes of trying to find a satisfactory one. Like I said, any opinions are more than welcome.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:43 AM
2nd Gear

Dont waste your money on the carboni shiznit. Evoms sells a nice intake, but its not cold air. Actually cold air doesnt exist on these cars, so if your going for a intake, make sure to get a heatshield to help seperating the heat from the turbo and the intake. You can do the air box mod as well. But the cone intakes make your dv sound alot louder, along with your turbo.
As for exhaust, do some searching ont he forum. Borla has good sound, but go with the techtonics setup, its 2.75 and requires a exuast tip, but its a deff. uprgrade from the 2.25 or w/e the normal borla kit is. Awetuning sells the borla. I have the apr setup, and i will say its a load of money, but, it sounds sick, do yourself a favor, get a testpipe and or a highflow cat and you wont be dissapointed!

Old 10-01-2007, 01:46 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: khj677turbo

Dont waste your money on the carboni shiznit. Evoms sells a nice intake, but its not cold air. Actually cold air doesnt exist on these cars, so if your going for a intake, make sure to get a heatshield to help seperating the heat from the turbo and the intake. You can do the air box mod as well. But the cone intakes make your dv sound alot louder, along with your turbo.
As for exhaust, do some searching ont he forum. Borla has good sound, but go with the techtonics setup, its 2.75 and requires a exuast tip, but its a deff. uprgrade from the 2.25 or w/e the normal borla kit is. Awetuning sells the borla. I have the apr setup, and i will say its a load of money, but, it sounds sick, do yourself a favor, get a testpipe and or a highflow cat and you wont be dissapointed!
the evo intake i have is cold air and comes with the heat sheild adittional but i do agree it really dont make cold air bc the motor is so hot that after a while it becomes useless.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:50 AM

Cool, thanks man. I was actually just looking at this: http://www.supremepowerparts.com/app...A4_1.8T_V_Flow

That seems to be pretty cool, I think I'll go with that. As for the intake, the APR is legit enough for me. As far as the only exhaust that they have for the A4 1.8T; is that a highflow cat? I don't really want to get a testpipe for this car -- maybe in the future.

Link for the APR A4 exhaust: http://www.goapr.com/Audi/products/a...ust_a418t.html

Sorry, I'm not quite sure from that description if it's a highflow cat.

EDIT: In what order would you guys do the upgrades? Tomorrow I'm swapping out the air filter to a K&N one. I was thinking of getting the intake first, then in two-four weeks buying the exhaust system. I'm kind of on a limited budget, so yeah.... lemme know what you guys think.

Old 10-01-2007, 04:33 AM
5th Gear

r u looking for performance gains? cuz if you are you should be looking at a chip. they will give you the most gains. an intake wont do anything for performance, and APR's exhaust is WAY overpriced. the cheapest way to go is a custom exhaust. if not than techtonics, borla, and milltek are all really good.

Old 10-01-2007, 04:41 AM
5th Gear

techtonics is 2.5" not 2.75" and comes with a tip. milltek is 2.75"

Old 10-01-2007, 05:26 PM

ORIGINAL: chaos92287

r u looking for performance gains? cuz if you are you should be looking at a chip. they will give you the most gains. an intake wont do anything for performance, and APR's exhaust is WAY overpriced. the cheapest way to go is a custom exhaust. if not than techtonics, borla, and milltek are all really good.
I am looking for performance gains. I also want to swap out the exhaust because it's pretty shitty, and I'm not okay with having the stock exhaust. I guess I could save the exhaust for later and chip it right now. Now I'm going to have to find out what some good chips are, haha. How's APR; or is it incredibly overpriced like their exhaust system?

Old 10-01-2007, 05:37 PM
4th Gear

If you do anything more than a drop in K&N panel filter, your wasting your time and money. That is all you need for the Stock Turbo
A lot of people custom a cold air intake, so they can hear more noise. Then they crank up the stereo and cant f*ckin hear it anyway. Its a waste of time IMO, and usually results in a slight loss of low end torque.

You'r on the money with the exhaust, borla and miltek are other popular cat-back systems. All 3 are pretty similar in performance.

You'll get 10x the performance from chipping your car (GIAC, APR,) than you will by what you are doing. about 40hp and 60torque roughly.

So, the order should be..... Chip and DV first (see the sticky threads at the top), then an intake, and exhaust.

Quick Reply: Intake/exhaust question[s]