Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake manifold gasket

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 05:29 PM
2nd Gear
Default Intake manifold gasket

I was looking on ecstuning's website and came across the newsouth performance intake manifold gasket. It says your intake manifold will stay 30-50° F cooler and your incoming air will stay 20-30° F cooler. Has any one installed one or know of anybody that has installed one and if it lives up to what they say. To me, for $55 bucks its worth a try. Here's a link to save a search. http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...ategory=Intake

Old 07-25-2004, 05:37 PM
Default RE: Intake manifold gasket

i dont know exactly how it would make your engine air cooler but give me a holler if it works out ill definatly be onboard

Old 07-25-2004, 05:44 PM
2nd Gear

Pretty much it doesn't absorb as much of the heat that the OEM steel one does.

Old 07-25-2004, 06:07 PM
3rd Gear

An intake manifold GASKET???

Sorry for the sarcasm, but it's a friggin' gasket! Are they trying to claim that the conduction of heat from the engine via the manifold and on to the intake will be reduced such that the air will remain 20 - 30 degrees cooler?? Nice idea on paper - not sure how that translates effectively in application though. There are other factors that will affect the air temp - like the overall ambient temp of the engine bay ityself.

Still... I'm in agreement with David_K on this: "....give me a holler if it works out..."

Old 07-25-2004, 07:02 PM
1st Gear

I'm gonna have to call BS on this one too. This is just like the gimmick I found that said you strap this little yellow plastic doo-hickey on the fuel line it it can help you gain like 5-10 MPG. Yeah, total BS. All it was, was a magnet. I did help maybe like 0.5-1.0 MPG, not much else.

I say stick with what you know works. If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is. But then again if you wanna be the ginney pig, go for it, cuz as skeptical as I am about stuff, I'll be the first one to take my foot out my mouth and buy it.

Old 07-26-2004, 12:17 AM
3rd Gear

Ive got one on the way Ill let you know...
the theory is that the stock gasket is metal metal, metal is very cuductive of heat the new gasket is thicker and is some type of plastic like substance... same stuff that there now using as spacers to keep the heat out of carboraters on old V8s
metal to metal=bad
metal to insulator to metal=good

well thats the theory anyways, Ill let you know!!!

Old 07-26-2004, 12:47 AM
2nd Gear

Awsome, let me know what you think about it. In theory it should work its kinda common sense, but somepeople don't see it that way. Like you said metal to metal bad. Glad im not alone.

Old 07-26-2004, 01:03 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: trailboss

Awsome, let me know what you think about it. In theory it should work its kinda common sense, but somepeople don't see it that way. Like you said metal to metal bad. Glad im not alone.
Yeah... in theory, but, like I said above, there are other mitigating factors that have just as much influence on the air temp. Still... I'd be interested to see scientific data on this. If they are so sure of the results, I would think they would have data/graphs of the differences. Their ad does not convince me.

Old 07-26-2004, 01:12 AM
2nd Gear

In principle, I'm sure it'll drop the intake temp, but I'll be shocked if it's that much. I'm with Imolas on this one, too many other mitigating factors to make that much of a difference. I'd still be skeptical even if they did have graphs and stats. You can make numbers say anything you want them to. But, every little thing you do to cool down that intake temp is good. Unless it's insanely expensive. How much is this gasket? Hey, if it's cheap what the hell.

Old 07-26-2004, 01:17 AM
2nd Gear

Like $55 bucks, if I had my car now, I would have already bought it. BTW how did you get the temp readings from your engine intake cooling post?

Quick Reply: Intake manifold gasket