Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Bought Audi, and got check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 08:47 PM
1st Gear
Default Just Bought Audi, and got check engine light

Hi everyone. I bought a 98 A4 Quattro V6 about 2 weeks ago. The dealer i got it from said the only thing that was wrong was the valve cover gasket was leaking. I test drove it it seemed fine. I told him i would do the work myself, if he would knock some money off the price. He agreed so i bought it. It only has 92k miles, bought it for 4800.00. Anyways, i changed the valve cover gaskets about 5 days ago. Yesterday though i was driving my usual route but decided to drive around 85 mph the whole way. Only about 30 minutes worth. Anyways the check engine light came on.

I did notice that the car was stutteting sometimes while accelerating. I also noticed thaat the car never really idled correctly. It seemed to stay above .5 and .7 up and down from there. Anyways, once the check engine light came on yesterday, i went to autozone to get a scanner and the car had 11 codes lol. 2 of them were Cylinder 5 misfire, 2 of them were cylinder 6 misfire, 2 of them were random misfire, i forget the others but i think it was something to do with sensors not recongining something. too rich or too lean or something.

Today i checked all plug wires were clicked in and i cleaned them too. Light still came back on. ANyone know what i should do?? Thanks.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:48 PM
1st Gear

If you can clear the codes and see which code comes back first.
Check the CPS - camshaft positions sensors. I had 02 A6 3.0L and had that proble. Check the connection, contact first. Maybe just loosen stuffs.
Mine firstly happens CEL flashing for 10-15 sec in day 1 and then in day 2 the CEL become steadily ON. The RPM seems little higher than normal when idling on traffic light waiting for green.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:03 AM
Banned

try to clear the fault code with your scanner.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:18 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by light8008
try to clear the fault code with your scanner.
That's the first thing I did. All codes came back

Old 05-14-2012, 02:29 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bigdadi
If you can clear the codes and see which code comes back first.
Check the CPS - camshaft positions sensors. I had 02 A6 3.0L and had that proble. Check the connection, contact first. Maybe just loosen stuffs.
Mine firstly happens CEL flashing for 10-15 sec in day 1 and then in day 2 the CEL become steadily ON. The RPM seems little higher than normal when idling on traffic light waiting for green.
Will check the CPS when I get home.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:09 AM
1st Gear

Ok, so i changed the spark plug wires. The codes that came back were-

Misfire in cylinder 4,5,6, random misfire, and No activity sensor circuit ( bank 2, sensor 2)

Any idea what i should do next? BTW the check engine light blinks when i go past 3k rpm.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:11 PM
1st Gear

Call Audi and see if your car had the coil pack recall and if it did buy new coul packs, when you have missfire codes its normally because you need new coil packs. When my car did the same thing change the packs and it went away.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:59 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Jchockey100
Call Audi and see if your car had the coil pack recall and if it did buy new coul packs, when you have missfire codes its normally because you need new coil packs. When my car did the same thing change the packs and it went away.
Thanks man, ill look into the coil pack.

PS- The car doesnt wanna go past 3500 rpm. It stutters a TON.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:21 AM
1st Gear

You might want to try a throttle body alignment using Vag-Com. Was the battery disconnected for a period of time?

Also, if the valve cover gaskets were leaking, you likely need to replace the breather hose and purge valve.

Check the cam seals on the rear of each cylinder bank closest to the firewall for leaks.

My 98 2.8 doesn't have individual coil packs for each cylinder...

Last edited by redmond1501; 05-24-2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:32 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by redmond1501
You might want to try a throttle body alignment using Vag-Com. Was the battery disconnected for a period of time?

Also, if the valve cover gaskets were leaking, you likely need to replace the breather hose and purge valve.

Check the cam seals on the rear of each cylinder bank closest to the firewall for leaks.

My 98 2.8 doesn't have individual coil packs for each cylinder...
Yes the battery was disc. for about 8 hours. The breather hose i will have to replace, i noticed it has hella black junk in it. The cam seals were fine. And my audi doesnt have individual coil packs either.

Quick Reply: Just Bought Audi, and got check engine light