Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got mine...let the mods begin!

Old 10-04-2005, 02:12 AM
1st Gear
Default Just got mine...let the mods begin!

I cannot even believe I am modding it, but being in the business, it's a basic right of passage that anything we get has to be modded. Been in and out of the Audi ame over the years. Had a modded '00 Imola S4 for awhile, detoured into a V8 Quattro last year as a winter car. On Friday I picked up an '06 Dolphin Grey/Platinum 2.0 TQ Avant....sweet, sweet car.

So, I am at 350 miles now, and already modding This Friday, springs go on, and have been researching the ecu upgrades all day. From the reading I have been doing and the people I have spoken too, it seems to matter little what ecu mod you do on this car at this stage in the game. APR, GIAC, Neuspeed, MTM all seem to be giving nearly identical gains over stock (they all use their own dyno figures, but relatively speaking the gains are extremely close).

Though I've gone absolutely nuts with past projects, I got the A4 to be a sensible winter car and daily driver, so that I can finally keep the miles down on my 350Z. Hopefully I don't go broke in the interim personalizing the Audi. I actually found myself checking out wheels on various Avants today, but decided that unless something whacks me over the head as a deal too good to pass up, I'll hang out till spring....maybe I can resist altogether?

Anyway, I'll post some before/after pictures with the springs this weekend (new camera came today!!!).

Happy to be here

Adam

Old 10-04-2005, 10:22 AM
5th Gear
Default RE: Just got mine...let the mods begin!

Congrats... and I wouldnt do "just" springs... one winter might toast your shocks. Get a spring/shock combo, or coilovers.

And post some pics!

Old 10-04-2005, 11:39 AM
1st Gear

Well, I am in the performance industry, and frankly have never seen a car, from the cheapest to the most expensive, who's stock shocks could not handle the mild drop of a properly engineered spring. This is the second Audi I'll be modding..first was an '00 S4 that had MTM springs (aka Eibach's) - never had any issues with the stock dampers on that car. Overall, this is my 10th or 11th new car, so I am sure with my spring selection, I will be in good shape.

Coilovers are a no can do on this car - it is leased, and given the roads where I live (NY), there is no way I cna justify them. My "other" daily driver (modded 350Z) has coilovers - while the ride is acceptable and they are streetable, it is on the edge. It is fine for a weekend car when I go out to have fun, but not what I want in the AM when I am trying to keep coffee from spilling in my lap

Old 10-04-2005, 11:46 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: s130t

Well, I am in the performance industry, and frankly have never seen a car, from the cheapest to the most expensive, who's stock shocks could not handle the mild drop of a properly engineered spring. This is the second Audi I'll be modding..first was an '00 S4 that had MTM springs (aka Eibach's) - never had any issues with the stock dampers on that car. Overall, this is my 10th or 11th new car, so I am sure with my spring selection, I will be in good shape.

Coilovers are a no can do on this car - it is leased, and given the roads where I live (NY), there is no way I cna justify them. My "other" daily driver (modded 350Z) has coilovers - while the ride is acceptable and they are streetable, it is on the edge. It is fine for a weekend car when I go out to have fun, but not what I want in the AM when I am trying to keep coffee from spilling in my lap
Well, your car is brand new... so it has a fighting chance... but I'm suprised nobody else posted here... there are several people here who can vouch for the fact that lowerng with just springs toasted their shocks within 6 months. Springs of choice on here are either Eibach, Neuspeed, or H&R... all of which I would suspect fall under your "well engineered" umbrella.

Old 10-05-2005, 12:03 AM
1st Gear

I always find it varies from user to user and based on their selection.

Fro example, most firms offer low and "really low" on their springs...the "low" tend to be ok...the "race" setup, tends to be way too low, and can even cause a set of aftermarket dampers to fail prematurely, or at the least not work with the amount of rebound or compression as they should.

My own experiences, purely annecdotal based on my own cars and customers cars has been (Euro cars):

Eibach Pro Kit - never had a single issue, regardless of the car. Progressive springs, relatively mild rates even at full compression and a relatively mild drop (typically around an inch)

H&R - never been a big fan of their springs as they tend to be on the stiffer side and tend to be too low

Neuspeed - they don't wind their own springs, so cannot comment on them

I hopefully will have the Pro Kit on the car on Friday

Old 10-05-2005, 12:43 AM
1st Gear

Congrats' on the B7!!

Mine has been wonderful, and I know what ya mean.... I put the APR Stage I chip on mine before 1k miles.... lol. It is a wonderful car and the APR chip has been astounding for the past 1.5k miles. Going in for tint, Vortex, and some mats Thursday.... then I'll be looking for springs and wheels too... let me know how your mods go!

Best wishes!

Old 10-05-2005, 01:19 AM
3rd Gear

congrats on the B7, what have you done to your 350Z?

Old 10-05-2005, 01:56 AM
1st Gear

thanks fastex and VB05...I just had mine tinted today, and once the springs are on, I'll do some pics for everyone.
What is done to the Z? here ya go:

Mods: NISMO front Bumper, C West sideskirts, Veilside rear lip, Balsarini spoiler, Craftsquare Mirrors, Seibon TS Carbon Hood (painted) Cusco sways, Cusco RS LSD, 3.9 final drive, HKS RS coilovers, Cusco a arms, Cusco strut brace, adjustable camber/toe arms, AP big brake kit, 5 Zigen engine damper, Work Emotion wheels (18x8.5, 18x9.5), Ultimate Racing Cats, Ultimate Racing Y pipe, Fujitsubo Titanium catback, Unorthodox pulley, Gruppe M carbon intake with carbon intake tube, HKS Circle Earth, Tomei 268 cams, DC headers, lots of port work, HKS F Con with Navigator, OS Giken single disk clutch with integrated flywheel, stainless steel clutch line

Audio - Kenwood 7015, Focul Utopias, McIntosh amp

Here are some pics taken before my new front bumper went on...hopefully we'll be shooting pics of the new bumper this weekend if time and weather allow

let me know what you think!

Old 10-05-2005, 02:35 AM
3rd Gear

sweeeeeeeeet. Beautiful photos, beautiful car. Except that the hood is kinda tacky and isn't color-matched right.

Old 10-05-2005, 02:44 AM
1st Gear

tacky? aww..the hood is one of my favorite aspects of the car to each his own though

actually the paint is spot on....the lighting makes it appear otherwise (the last 2 pics were at night)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just got mine...let the mods begin!