Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just purchased our first A4!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 12:11 AM
1st Gear
Default Just purchased our first A4!

Hey guys!

Today me and the Fiance just purchased her first Audi A4, her and myself are both die hard fans of Audi and finally ended up making our purchase on a 2004 Audi A4, 1.8T AWD. It has 140,xxx miles on it, we paid about $6700 for it. I feel that was a little much but it was a clean title and all the maintenance, spark plugs, engine oil, tranny oil, serp belt and timing belt had been replaced already.

A couple questions I have...

We noticed the driver window does not work at all. Whats the best way to go about diagnosing whether its a fuse or the motor? Does the fuse power all 4 window motors or are there individual ones? if its not the fuse its probably the motor eh?

Another thing is that there are two buttons above the stereo next to the cup holders that have the black plastic peeling on them.. are those easy to replace?

This car has that NASTY black trim on the bottom... I plan on painting ALL of it to match the body of the car (silver), the sides, rear bumer, front bumper, are they easily removable... or should I just paint them on the car?

Lastly, the engine bay has a sticker that says the timing belt was replaced at 117k, the motor has about 140k.. what are the best intervals for changing the timing belt? I have no idea if the water pump was replaced... but wouldent it make sense who ever did the timing belt would have also replaced the water pump?

Any tips and tricks in terms of maintenance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help all!

Old 02-01-2013, 10:25 AM
2nd Gear

For the window if it is not aa simple as a fuse then it might be the switch. The contacts can get dirty or worn out. Not sure of replacement cost though.

You would think the water pump was replaced, but there is no easy way to tell.

I will let others chime in on your other questions. Good luck and I hope you enjoy the new ride.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:09 PM
1st Gear

So I found this video online through some research..

Is it more common for the motor to fail or the regulator? The regulator seems like a PITA to replace where the motor is just simply removing the door panel.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:30 AM
1st Gear

Congratulation. Noting fun like driving your first audi. For the window, you can use the video russianh2o provided or this link 2004 Audi A4 Window Regulator And Motor Replacement | Happy Wrenching to take it apart. I myself had an issue with the driver side window, so i took it apart to find out the motor was running in one direction only because of a faulty switch. It costs around $30 on ebay for the Master switch.

It could be a bit confusing, with all the clips and bolts in every direction. But totally worth it at the end.