Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N cold air intake

Old 11-04-2004, 04:32 AM
1st Gear
Default K&N cold air intake

We got a K&N cold air intake for a BMW 318 which looks like it will fit the A-4, 6 cyc, 12v with a little cutting, but what to do with the vacuum hose etc? Any installation ideas?

Old 11-04-2004, 09:35 AM
6th Gear
Default RE: K&N cold air intake

Why do you want the K&N intake on the Audi? Just for sound? They don't provide any benefits performance-wise.

Old 11-04-2004, 03:25 PM
1st Gear

If your such an expert what did you do for intake????? more air = more horespower and no its no for sound my friend is going to give me the k&n cold air intake for $70 which is a great deal considering new its like $199.... So what did you do keep it stock... i just want to know how to remount the senor and vaccum lines because i heard if you mount the intake manifold sensor in the wrong place your car will run shitty? so an help ????

Old 11-04-2004, 03:45 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: glenkarl
If your such an expert what did you do for intake????? more air = more horespower and no its no for sound my friend is going to give me the k&n cold air intake for $70 which is a great deal considering new its like $199.... So what did you do keep it stock... i just want to know how to remount the senor and vaccum lines because i heard if you mount the intake manifold sensor in the wrong place your car will run shitty? so an help ????
Wow, i think he kept his airbox stock and didn't do an intake. On the 1.8t an intake is pointless, you will not see any performance gains at all maybe even loss of HP if the dyno chart on audiworld is correct; it is merely for sound that is why i have one. On the 12v V6 i thought there was a gain in HP but not much at all like 1-2hp maybe, just maybe. One other thing, buy an intake specifically made for your car, dont go cheap you will end up paying for it in the end, unless you get lucky. Most sensors on audis = big bucks for a damn sensor.

Old 11-04-2004, 04:34 PM
6th Gear

The flow restriction does not lie within the airbox glenkarl. The restriction is in the MAF and throttle body. The factory airbox flows quite well. For my intake I have had the MAF housing bored and removed the screen. In order to conteract the CEL that will happen with out an airflow screen, I have installed a velocity stack. This speeds the air up and smooths the airflow, making mr MAF censor happy. I also have a bored and polished throttle body.

As far as air filters. Do a little experiment for me. Take some dirt and sift it through your K&N filter, it will all come through. Do the same with the factory Mann filter, not quite the same effect. Hold the K&N up to a light. You can see right through it! Also On audi's the MAF sensor is close enough to the filter that the oil has been known to toast the sensor. Not a huge problem and lots of people will tell you not to worry about that. I'm not an expert nor do I claim to be, these are just my general observations.

Old 11-04-2004, 06:25 PM
1st Gear

sorry i got kind of mad but thanks for the tip's i will try that dirt thing with the air filter. can you explain to me what a velocity stack is..and how much they are.. and does boaring out the trotle body and polishing it really help...and where did you get that done or did you do that your self..thanks for the tips

Old 11-04-2004, 06:37 PM
4th Gear

Actualy alot chip tuners do recomend aftermarket air fliters for chipped cars.

Old 11-04-2004, 07:11 PM
6th Gear

Yes, a K&N will flow more air, but I just don't like the idea of less protection for my engine/internals. As far as my intake products, I had them done by a Abnormally Aspirated. The guy only does products for the 12V engine. He frequents the 12v performance forum on Audiworld. His name is mance, and recently he stopped advertising and only takes orders by requests from previous clients.

When you remove the screen that covers the intake side of the MAF housing you will get a check engine light. The velocity stack smooths the air out like the screen. I'm not sure if you are familiar with a venturi. That is when velocity increases, pressure decreases. So when you enlarge the bore size of the MAF housing, that causes a drop in velocity. The engine then thinks there is a smaller volume of air entering the engine. It then decreases fuel amounts to the injectors causing a lean condition. The velocity stack sits inbetween the airbox and the maf housing to raise the velocity of the air.

This isn't it, but its similar:

You should really hang out at the 12V forum and read up on all the developments for our engine. Do a search for a guy named UrS4.

Old 11-04-2004, 08:15 PM
1st Gear

do you have any suggestions on how to get performance for farly cheap????? ok i will look in to the boaring out thing an d manifold thanks...the performance stuff would be for an 2.8L 12v

Old 11-04-2004, 08:55 PM
6th Gear

There really is not great performance mod for the 12V. I paid around 70 for the velocity stack, 200 for the MAF, and 250 for the throttle body. My butt dyno gives it approx 10-15hp.

You could also throw in a set of schrick cams, or an exhaust system.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: K&N cold air intake