Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K03 Wastegate Flap opinions..

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 01:24 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: K03 Wastegate Flap opinions..

Well I got the turbo put back on. I guess I can't beat this car in a footrace after all. What a difference. When I got the car I wasn't sure if the turbo was actually working. I read that if you drive it hard enough the turbo will glow. This prompted me to go out and drive the **** out of it and the turbo didn't glow. After I got it installed and checked for leaks I took it for a spin and got back and the turbo was glowing a little bit. Also, no more rattle. Which is equally exciting.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:31 AM
2nd Gear

haha, yeah, that difference.... IT"S BOOOOOST!

nice, isn't it

Old 10-24-2007, 01:11 PM

While you're at it you should make sure that your vac line to your dv isn't cracked or has holes.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:39 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation 1.8t wastegate flap swing valve is shot. . help

my b5 1.8t a4 wastegate swing valve is shredded. same prob as above but i m looking at picking up a 1.8t jetta turbo in hopes i can swap the swing wastegate valve inside the turbo. can i do this? will it fit? $150 for the jetta turbo. ??

Old 02-10-2010, 09:51 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by sweetjumper32
Well I got the turbo put back on. I guess I can't beat this car in a footrace after all. What a difference. When I got the car I wasn't sure if the turbo was actually working. I read that if you drive it hard enough the turbo will glow. This prompted me to go out and drive the **** out of it and the turbo didn't glow. After I got it installed and checked for leaks I took it for a spin and got back and the turbo was glowing a little bit. Also, no more rattle. Which is equally exciting.
I had the exact same symptoms (no power, no red glowing turbo, rattle). Unfortunately, I did not check on the issue for months. Finally took the turbo out. While my flap is still (somewhat) in place, it was wasn't cloing (by the spring of the actuator) at all. Just hanging there and wobbly.

Probably could have all been avoided with a boost gauge and tighten the the set screws on the actuator to ensure the flap is held close (yet open when needed).

Here is the flap:

Name:  IMG_4246.jpg
Views: 2337
Size:  55.9 KB
Name:  IMG_4253.jpg
Views: 2043
Size:  61.4 KB

The links to your pics are expired. Could you repost or PM the pics and how you did the fix?

Or does someone has a fix to replace the flap?

Thanks.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:14 AM

in the b6 a4 1.8t can you see the turbo by just popping the hood? or is it lodged underneath not visible?

Old 05-17-2010, 08:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 02canvas
in the b6 a4 1.8t can you see the turbo by just popping the hood? or is it lodged underneath not visible?
Yes you can, but you might want to take a thing or two off to see it better. If you remove the two screws for the intake from the rad support, look down. You can easily see the air intake hose that goes from the turbo to the airbox, and follow it down. You'll see it the turbo is tiny.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:15 PM
1st Gear

I have the very same annoying rattle on deceleration. Was told by a muffler show it was my turbo. Researched and checked youtube for sound comparison and indeed my wastegate is acting up. Question being that this is my first turbo car. Will i have to change the gasket for the turbo if i'm just pulling it off to check it?

Old 05-24-2012, 06:31 AM
2nd Gear

**** not too difficult on the transverse 4 cyl to take the downpipe off. the exhaust side off the turbo with the wastegate is then visible (mirror or photo works well).

My local turbo shop that ended up going to (TurboConcepts in Pinckney, MI) rebuilt my turbo (and gave me the option for a bit more $ to upgrade to K04 hybrid).

Still driving this turbo. Outflowing the 'plain jane' K04 and hitting the limit of MAF (Giac PC16), and in the process (the 'flapper' was my first incounter with anything 'turbo') got the 'turbo bug'.

My Allroad is pushing 20 psi and is anxiously waiting for Turbo Concepts to finish the RS6 hybrid turbos and JHM to deliver the FMIC; everything else is ready to go to get her from the 330HP (but LOTS of low end torque) to the anticipated 550HP.

Another 1.8T AEB (in a Passat) is currently on Giac stage 1, but will also see the K04 hybrid running on Giac PC16 (will get the injectors, FMIC, downpipes). Already sits on Koni and 18" shoes.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:08 AM
1st Gear

Ok. Thanks for your input. Sounds like you have a couple of beasts in the making. Mine is purely stock (sucks compared to the ones in my area). Don't really want to change anything until my warranty runs out.

Quick Reply: K03 Wastegate Flap opinions..