Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

keyless on my 96 - what remote? programming?

Old 07-31-2007, 12:36 PM
3rd Gear
Default keyless on my 96 - what remote? programming?

Well I just checked my A4 and I have a keyless module! WOOHOO! 8D0 907 335

Kind of odd though - my friend's family had the car since new and I don't remember them having a remote. It could be it just died on them and they never repalced it.

I was wondering what remote I need for it since I don't have the switchblade key, and how to program it.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:50 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: keyless on my 96 - what remote? programming?

Since you have an early one i think any ebay one will work, I have a 98 and i bought a 3button off ebay and then reprogrammed it by putting one in the ignition to the "on" position and the other in the driver doorlock. i locked the door with the key and then pressed unlock on the key in the ignition, the blicker indicators flashed one waited 6 seconds and then pressed unlock on the key in the inignition and the doors unlocked. that programed the first key. for the second i relocked the door using the key and then pressed unlock on the key in the door, once agian the blinkers flashed, waited 6 seconds and then pressed unlock again, that key was then programed.

they ebay key cost me like 50 bucks and a vw dealership cut the key for free, so it wasn't that bad. The guys with 2000+ models have it worse cause they have to program the chips in the key too.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:57 PM
3rd Gear

Hell... for the cost of getting a remote off ebay I just found JCwhitney has an aftermarket keyless system for $26.50 shipped!

Screw the OEM one!

I'll use this guide:to wire it up.

http://home.sprintmail.com/~kirstein/remote/

Anyone know if those relays are necessary? I don't care about my lights blinking...

Old 07-31-2007, 02:07 PM
1st Gear

It's an incomplete wiring diagram so i have no idea if having an open circuit any where is going to mess up the other transistors in the circuit, knowing my history with all of Audi's electronics I'd say try to keep the stock configuration intact.

Plus the OEM key is so much more classy than anything else out there. People notice the switchblades, plus they take up less room in your pocket. Least that my opinion, plus 3rd party stuff almostalways looks tacky.

I wish more things in life had an Audi emblem on them.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:22 PM

wood_e I found out I had keyless on mine like a year ago and still havent been able to get the damn thing working. I wouldnt go the ebay route, thats why I did and the remote hasnt worked. Aftermarket doesnt look as great, but I think its the easiest solution.... let me know what you do, because I am thinking of doing the same, just havent pulled the trigger yet.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:32 PM
3rd Gear

For $26 I ordered one up from JC whitney. I'll let you know how the install goes.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:14 AM
1st Gear

yeah i was thinkin about installin that cheap valet 710t keyless entry system in my 96 a4 aswell. But i want a switchblade sooo damn bad so i ordered one of these guys

http://www.rclick.co.uk/remote-keyle...60w-p-243.html

comes in pretty soon, ill let you know how it works.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:30 AM
3rd Gear

My feeling on the switchblade is - what good is it if you can't use the key...?

Old 08-02-2007, 03:43 PM
1st Gear

lol you can use the key.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:17 PM
6th Gear

I have an actual Audi keyless remote for the 12v. It is thin like about a quater thick or maybe two and about 1.5in long X 1 in. wide. It has two buttons and it never got good range for me so when the keychain part broke I just stoped using it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: keyless on my 96 - what remote? programming?