Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LEAKING SOME BLACK OIL. THINKS ITS TRANNY OIL HELP AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 08:17 PM
1st Gear
Default LEAKING SOME BLACK OIL. THINKS ITS TRANNY OIL HELP AGAIN

Hello all once again,
I have recently, last thursday, purchased a used 1999 Audi 2.8 Quattro with 139 000 KMS on it.
I inspected the car at the dealer and saw no leaks, even after the test drive and came back other days to check up on it. BUT, yesterday Sunday July 25 I noticed a black puddle under my car .
i have a 2 year unlimited mileage power train warranty on it. So I took it back to the dealer so that he can fix it. I found out that my warranty does not cover SEALS AND GASKETS [:@]. He sent it to a mechanic and found out that I had a gasket leak near the tranny. I am sooooooooooooo pissed. I just bought the car 5 days ago.
Anyway the quote price to fix the leak and gasket is $150 CANADIAN = $110 AMERICAN. I was wondering if that is a good price and should I worry about other leaks cause the dealer is offering me a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty on all seals and gaskets for $220 CANADIAN = $161 AMERICAN. The warranty covers up to $850 CANADIAN CLAIMS = $625 AMERICAN with a $150 CANADIAN DEDUCTIBLE = $110 AMERICAN.
My question is, do you think the quote for the fix is good and do you think I should get the warranty. Also have any of you guys had these problems.
Thanks and I am waiting for your replies.

Old 07-26-2004, 09:19 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: LEAKING SOME BLACK OIL. THINKS ITS TRANNY OIL HELP AGAIN

find out the exact name of what is wrong. Then let us know and we can tell you if its a decent price quoted.
Which gasket is it? Black puddle doesnt sound like tranny oil to me.

2.8's are notorious for leaking oil as they age too. Last time I had a small leak it was a cam shaft seal that was leaking. Many people have seen this as their problem.

Old 07-26-2004, 09:34 PM
3rd Gear

Wait a minute!

You bought this car 5 days ago?

There should be a buyer protection law that provides you with rights when it comes to this sort of thing. I'm pretty sure the dealer is under obligation to make good on the service when the incident occurs so soon to the date of purchase. There are specific provisions that itemize this and allow grace periods of 10, 15, and 30 days. I'd check into this first, and not with the dealer - he'll just say, "No, there's no such thing."

I'm pretty sure about this. I think it goes back to the early days of Ralph Nader's career!

Old 07-26-2004, 09:37 PM
Site Moderator

doh - I didnt even see that he bought that 5 days ago. Yes bring this up with your dealer - there is normally a provision that you can actually return the car if you are not satisfied with it in the first 10 days. I do not know if that is actual law or if it is something that must be on the bill of sale. Do some research on that.

Old 07-26-2004, 10:51 PM
1st Gear

Well I live in CANADA. There is a 36 day gurantee on all SAFETY ITEMS e.g. brakes, mirrors, rotors, signal lights, etc. but nothing about the 10 to 15 return. I will check on that right away. If any canadian guy sees this post and knows about a site that they can refer me too then I will be very very happy. Thanks for the help gusy...will keep you posted...imolas4 and brrrman i was waiting for your guys replies. Thanks alot.

Old 07-27-2004, 05:20 AM
Site Moderator

hey - I am canadian. I just don't live there at the moment.

Old 07-27-2004, 09:20 PM
1st Gear

Hey BRRMan...I think I will be joining you guys down in the states soon. Comming down to get a job. Well I tried to search for any info regarding any responsibility that the dealer has but couldnt find any. I emailed the Ministry of Transportation but no reply. I also emailed some other oraganization as well, but still no reply. Hopefully something comes up soon. If nothing then I guess I have to pay the $150 CANADIAN to fix the leak. They told me its a gasket cap leak near the tranny, forgot the name. I just hope that I get no problems anytime soon.

Old 07-27-2004, 09:31 PM
3rd Gear

I'd continue the fight on this. The dealer cannot sell without some sort of sales guarantee.

Old 08-09-2004, 09:50 PM
1st Gear

Ok guys update on my leaking oil situation. Havent been around to check the forums lately because so busy with the car.
Anyway. So after the car leak was "supposdly" fixed, it leaked again.
I called the ministry of Transportation in Toronto, CANADA and they told me that the dealer is responsible for goods that he/she sells within 90 days IF it does not allow the buyer to use the good properly.
So what the ministry recommended is that I go to a certified mechanic and let them check out whats wrong with the car, then get a written statement on whats wrong and then show that statement to the used car dealer. If he agrees to fix the problem written on the statement then fine, if not then call them again and the ministry will deal with them.
So I took it to audi and they checked the car....COST ME $150 CANADIAN = $110 American and they told me that the oil cooler is leaking. Told me it would cost $160 CANADIAN TO FIX = $ 120 American, parts and labour. I told him NO and said that the dealer would take care of it. SO I took the written statement to the used car dealer and he said he will fix it. I didnt leave my car with them, I told him to order the part from audi first then I will bring the car myself.
SO THANKS GUYS FOR TELLING ME NOT TO GIVE ON THIS AND FIGHT THE DEALER. IMOLAS4 AND BRRRMAN THANKS ALOT GUYS........
hopefully now the car will get fixed and no more leaks

Old 08-09-2004, 10:02 PM
2nd Gear

Ecellent! Glad to hear this is being resolved. Keep us posted on any developments.

Quick Reply: LEAKING SOME BLACK OIL. THINKS ITS TRANNY OIL HELP AGAIN