Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LEAKING SOME BLACK OIL. THINKS ITS TRANNY OIL HELP AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 10:45 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: LEAKING SOME BLACK OIL. THINKS ITS TRANNY OIL HELP AGAIN

HAH HAH - excellent - stick it to the MAN!!!!

great job, Owdi!

Old 08-10-2004, 12:49 AM
4th Gear

I'm just as cocerned at to the reason your oil is BLACK.

Has the oil ever been changed in this car?

Old 08-10-2004, 09:15 PM
1st Gear

Yeah david999 the oil has been changed. Its clean and good colour right now, last I checked.

The AUDI service center said that it was the "OIL COOLER" that is leaking. So you guys would know the colour of the oil leaking from it.

Anyway the latest news is that the used car dealer has ordered the part and is waiting to recieve it. He said he ordered it yesterday but come on it doesnt take 2 buisness days to get a part especially since I gave him the part number and the AUDI dealership part center is like 40 KMS away = 20 MILES...I think they are trying to jerk me again, but I wont let them. Lets just hope that no other part is leaking. The AUDI service center said that there are no other parts leaking, so lets hope that is true.

Old 08-13-2004, 05:15 PM
1st Gear

Got the part fixed today..Friday 13th...hope that doesnt mean anything regarding my car. Anyway...the mechanic for the used car dealer fixed the part and i didnt pay anything .

LETS ALL HOPE THAT THATS THE LAST OF THE LEAKS AND PROBLEMS AND NOW I CAN START MODDING THE CAR.

But Dont want to go too much into modding ...I still want the sleak classy look. I have a 99 2.8 Quattro Auto/Triptronic. I was reading threads on CHIPS, eg. GIAC and stuff. I went to a link that Brrrman provided, but I dont know which one is for my car. They state one that is for 30V 2.8 and one that says GIAC triptronic chip? @ awe-tuning.com...which one is for my car and will it make anykind of noise once installed?...I would like to keep everything the same..just add more power thats all...also if I get a GIAC chip, after you guys tell me which one...do I have to get anything else that is neccessary for it to work properly?

Thanks guys for all the support so far

Old 08-13-2004, 06:58 PM
1st Gear

I am Canadian and live in Oakville. Where did you buy your car from? Sounds like the same dealership where I bought my car. A week after driving my car, I had a oil burning smell and I took it back to them to look at. They claim there was no leak and the small puddle under the car was from the rustproofing that I did a few days ago.
I took the car to an Audi dealer and found that the valve cover gasket and oil cooler gasket need replacement. Since I was getting them to do the timing belt and water pump, the dealer did the work for $200 on top of the original work. I took the invoice report back to the dealer to get some compensation and all they gave me was 2 free oil change. All dealership are the same when it comes to warranty. So my advise, don't buy an extended warranty especially on an Audi.
The warranty cost for my car is CDN$5000 and so far I have spent $2500 but on parts not covered on warranty.

Old 08-13-2004, 07:24 PM
1st Gear

Hey dudley...I bought my car from FINE CARS AUTOHAUSE. Its located in TORONTO, at KEELE AND MAJOR MACKENZIE. I do have a extended 2 year unlimited kilometer warranty from AUTOGUARD. They parts covered are powertrain, head gaskets, and other seals and gaskets. The warranty is up tp $850 per claim with $150 deductible and I make as many claims as I like. The warranty came with my car, but I had to purcahse the seals and gaskets one that cost me $250. So so far I only spent $250 on my warranty and it covers what I stated above. I havent used my warranty yet, and I hope I dont have to use it.

Dudley you should have not replaced the gaskets, because as I stated in my previous thread that the ministry of transportation and these people http://www.omvic.on.ca told me that the used car dealership is RESPONSIBLE for fixing the car because there is a GOOD OF SALE law that they must abide too. You should have called the ministry or the OMVIC people. They helped me alot. They told me to go get the car checked by a certified mechanic, I took it to QUEENSWAY AUDI and take the report they give you to the used car dealer and tell them they must fix this. They gave a report stating the problems of the car, which was just the OIL COOLER SEAL. I took the report to the used car dealer and told them to fix it. They said yes, but if they didnt then OMVIC told me to contact them back and that they would tell me what to do next and that they would help me in anyway possible. Basically they mean that would make sure they do pay for the fix.

I was wondering Dudley how much did they charge you for the Water pump and timing belt, with parts and labour. My powertrain warranty covers timing belt, but not water pump. So if you could tell me how much it cost, I might think about changing them.

Old 08-16-2004, 06:43 PM

if you see "black oil" smell it. if it smells burnt its tranny oil ussally.

Old 08-17-2004, 01:19 PM
1st Gear

Call me at 1-800-268-3578 ext. 4181 or (905)827-6919 after 6PM. I could hook you up with the best dealership in town. They did my timing belt and water pump at a good cost.
I didn't get the extended warranty because of the cost $5000 CDN for 3 years or 60,000Km which I think is ridiculous. There is also a deductible for every claim and I just don't trust the dealer where I bought it from to do the warranty work. Sure, I could take it to the Audi dealer for repair but it means that I have to pay them first and do the claim back later. It could be a hassle to do the claim back and all.
I have known people who spent the money on extended warranty but only claimed 30% of its value on average. So, what I did was put the $5000 in the bank and gamble that the repair cost will not exceed it. So far I spent $2500 in total and $250 actually out of the $5000 is a warranty cost if I had the extended warranty. The $2250 that I spent will not be covered under warranty (ie. timing belt, water pump replacement, tires). Extended warranty is another money grabbing thing that the dealer put in and buying it for an Audi will be a waste. In the 1980 it may be a wise thing, but not anymore. Audis are built to last and anything that failed such as gaskets are not covered under warranty. Hope it helps.

Old 08-17-2004, 01:48 PM
1st Gear

Timing belt was never covered under warranty unless they failed during the warranty period and chances are the belt will never failed in a normal driving conditions.

Old 08-17-2004, 02:33 PM
Site Moderator

OWDI - you realize the 2.8 engine will only get around 12-14 hp from a chip of any manufacturer. Expensive for 12-14 hp.

There are not too many things to do in order to get power from a 2.8 except to supercharge it - then you're talkin 280-320 hp for about $3500.