Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

line out converter + BOSE

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 09:10 PM
1st Gear
Default line out converter + BOSE

Well here goes a pretty long post. Please help if you can.

I plan on installing a subwoofer in my cousins 1998 A4 1.8T Quattro...Concert head unit / Bose. I seemed to run into a little glitch thats delaying the install. I bought the "Car Stereo Cookbook" from Crutchfield and have basically read the whole thing in 2 hours...300+ pages...lol. I ran into a section dealing with installing a subwoofer into factory Bose systems and the book states that this Soundgate line out converter must be used for Bose systems....http://www.logjamelectronics.com/sounlocbosli.html ....because of the extremely low signals that Bose systems use. Now i've searched four forums and DIY sections of these forums and a4mods.com and no one seems to address this issue.

can i just use this Peripherals line out converter.....http://www.discountcarstereo.com/det...px?ID=442..... or do i have to use the Soundgate one as the book states????

****just a lil add ... if anyone really wants to get a full understanding of how car stereo systems function and wants a full understanding of the subject in general, i HIGHLY recommend this book. best $25.00 ive ever spent. Barnes & Nobles also carries it.

Old 04-18-2006, 10:14 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: line out converter + BOSE

you dont need a line out converter...i used a line level output....i used this one

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-zvaDIAJ...tput&i=142SLC4

20 bucks, tapped into my rear speakers...wired everything in and bada bing....worked like a charm

Old 04-18-2006, 10:14 PM
2nd Gear

I followed the DIY on audiworld.com, it was pretty straightforward. The people that wrote the DIY actually did it on a bose system. Check it out under the resources/tech section.

**edit** - and I didn't use a line out converter, my amp has low level inputs.

Old 04-18-2006, 10:15 PM
5th Gear

dont do any of that its stupid, i had a line out converter and it sucked ***..... what you need to do it buy a set of femal rca's cut the ends off and wire them directly into the right and left rear speaker outputs, it sounds sooo much better its not even funny man, i just did that to mine last weekend and got rid of that pos lineout converter, save your self the pain of a shitty set up and just wire in rca's the difference is amazing

Old 04-18-2006, 11:55 PM
1st Gear

i only have one thing to say..... u guys are the ****. great responses, helped me out a lot. thanks badluckaudi. so basically femal rca's spliced into rear outputs after stock bose amp .... then into aftermarke amp thats going to power the sub?

Old 04-19-2006, 01:49 AM
5th Gear

your going to be splicing right out of the headunit, that goes to the stock amp, so your rca's are in the right spot

Old 04-19-2006, 11:25 AM
2nd Gear

You have to splice before the wires go into the rear amp on the back left speaker.

Old 04-19-2006, 07:35 PM
1st Gear

thanks guys i really do appreciate the advice. its helpin me out a lot. i just got done installing a USA SPEC IPod Adapter with the AUX inputs, and i hardwired a Sirius S50 car kit... lil imagination went a long way. everything under knee bolster. bought a cigarette lighter port and wired it to the 75x. Ipod and Sirius S50 car kit on his 98 A4 Concert w/ BOSE. everything sounds great. i think im gonna take some pics and post a DIY. came out VERY clean. never need another cd again. cd changer buttons control everything. f'in awesome.

Old 04-20-2006, 02:00 PM
1st Gear

Strange that Crutchfield gave such dumbass advice - they're usually really good. I spliced into the line level outputs behind the HU, and it works great. I've read so many posts about crappy sound with a convertor that I never even considered going that route.

Old 04-20-2006, 02:14 PM
5th Gear

Yea dont even bother with a converter just splice some RCA's right behinde the head unit on the left and right rear outputs and its sooo much better

Quick Reply: line out converter + BOSE