Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long time listener first time caller w/ question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 02:11 PM
1st Gear
Default Long time listener first time caller w/ question

What's up everyone? You have no idea how many questions I've had answered just by reading/searching this forum, ps thanks for the new control arms. Anyway, I have a leak in my power steering line(s). I've been refilling the fluid every couple of weeks to keep the pump from burning out but its time to get a more permanent fix. Is changing these lines something I can do myself or should I fork over the $$$ for the dealership to do it. I'm taking my car in for an oil change and the aforementioned control arms next week anyway, but wanted to try and save some money if possible.

Thanks for any help,

Oh I have a 99 1.8T quattro

Old 03-11-2005, 03:32 PM
6th Gear
Default RE: Long time listener first time caller w/ question

Hi T and A4, welcome to the forum. Well first you are going to have to figure out where the leak is coming from. If it is coming from the reservoir or hoses coming from the tank it should be an easy fix. If it is coming from the rack, then I doubt you'll be able to fix.

Old 03-11-2005, 04:31 PM
1st Gear

Jest, thanks. Service told me the leak was coming from the hoses (I stopped by and had them take a quick look plus they gave me a free bottle of power steering fluid). They quoted me like $200 for the fix which looking at some of your other posts seems too low for them to be replacing the whole rack.

Old 03-11-2005, 04:40 PM

why replace the whole rack when just a line has busted ?

Old 03-11-2005, 04:43 PM
6th Gear

If it is just the hoses, then it should be quite simple. Just stick your head under there and look for the leak, when you find it tell us where it is and we'll try to help.

Old 03-11-2005, 04:54 PM
1st Gear

see how great these guys are

Old 03-11-2005, 05:13 PM
Site Moderator

A free bottle of fluid??? This was at a dealer?? damn where you live?

Many times its as simple as adding/replacing a clamp on the hose where it meets the reservoir. Or replacing a section.

If they had to replace the rack you'd be looking at a $1500-$2000 job. They are charging you for about 1.5 hours labor and some material costs (hose).

Old 03-11-2005, 05:24 PM
1st Gear

I will try and find the leak this weekend and be back for help on the fix. Luckily its supposed to be like 20 and snowing here in beautiful minneapolis. Thanks again.

Old 03-14-2005, 11:49 AM
1st Gear

Ok, checked it out. It looks like as brrrrman said the clamp where the hose meets the reservoir needs to be replaced/tightened. It looks like you need a special tool to tighten the clamp, or should I replace it?

Old 03-14-2005, 11:56 AM
6th Gear

just pry the old clamp off and replace it with a new one. I just bought mine from autozone (25 cents). I had the exact same problem as you had. Make sure you pick up some Pentosin 11s fluid.

Quick Reply: Long time listener first time caller w/ question