Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at a 98 A4 - few ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 01:07 PM
Default Looking at a 98 A4 - few ???

It is a 2.8 quattro, 5spd. From what I know, the cruise doesn't work, air bag light is on, and the clutch grabs a little later than it should. Even with these problems, the price is still right, but I would like to know what I am looking at for repairs. I know the control arms have been replaced, it may need tie-rods, and there appears to be fluid dripping on the floor mat below the clutch pedal (bad master cylinder/slave cylinder?). I also need to find out if it's been done or not, but how hard is it to change the timing belt? If any one has any ideas, or experience with these, please fill me in.

Thanks.

Old 05-04-2006, 06:51 PM
6th Gear
Default RE: Looking at a 98 A4 - few ???

Oh boy, I would stay away from this car. Odds are the owner has taken **** poor care of it and it will continue to be problematic.

Old 05-04-2006, 07:03 PM

Actually, it is a good friend of mine, and he does take care of the car. He just hasn't driven it much in the last year. With the price he is offering me, I wouldn't have a problem putting a little back into it. I am just curious how much work it will be.

Old 05-04-2006, 07:10 PM
1st Gear

just curious, how much is he asking? if you don't mind..

Old 05-04-2006, 07:13 PM

unless your mechanically minded which I think not nothing personal the master cylinder is at the clutch peddle and slave is at the gearbox ( is it break/clutch fluid or coolant under the carpet ), timing belt depends on how competent you feel you are as many will give you the information you require to do it your self but to take it to a garage will cost loads ( now do you think the car is value for money?? )

Old 05-04-2006, 07:21 PM

$5k for me.

I didn't look to see if the drops were fluid or anti-freeze, I just saw them under the clutch pedal area and noticed it doesn't grab until the end. My dad had the same problem in his 3000gt, so that's what I assumed the problem is. I couldn't remember which was the master/slave cylinder.

Mechanical ability isn't a problem - you name it, I've done it. Time is the only thing I am short on. Is the timing belt a pita, time consuming, expensive, or does it require special "Audi" tools?

Old 05-04-2006, 07:27 PM
1st Gear

thats pretty good. kelley blue book lists this at around 8000. i would take the money saved to fix up any problems (like the ones you listed) and also tint the windows if they arent already! post some pics..