Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for Valeo alternator voltage regulator assembly

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 12:22 AM
1st Gear
Default Looking for Valeo alternator voltage regulator assembly

Hi guys,

I searched everywhere I could think of but cannot find this part. Here is some info from the part itself. If anyone could recommend a parts retailer that may carry those, I'd appreciate:

I'm looking for Valeo (120Amp) alternator voltage regulator for 2001 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T 4CY.
Part number from the regulator assembly: 2542292. Transistor has # 2541940.

Thanks

Old 09-10-2007, 01:31 AM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Looking for Valeo alternator voltage regulator assembly

Oh man every voltage regulator known to audi has been built inside the alternator since the early 80's. In other words its inside the alternator, hence you may need a new alternator.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:17 AM
1st Gear

But I'm holding one I took off of it in my hand. It was under a "protective cover" at the back of the alt. The whole assy includes the v reg. and the brushes (and the sealed capacitor). There is a part number for this baby: 06B 903 016 B

Old 09-10-2007, 06:08 PM
Site Moderator

Even if you can take off the voltage regulator audi won't sell you the regulator seperately. There are tons of parts on cars with individual part numbers but audi isn't required to sell them.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:25 PM
1st Gear

Today, after a lot of search I found a compatible VW regulator that I ordered at the local VW dealership at what I though a reasonable price $124. Other Audi/VW dealerships quoted me anywhere from $140-$160. They'll have it for me to pick it up tomorrow.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:43 PM
Site Moderator

Thats a reasonable price, but i would still buy the entire alternator and get all that crap replaced at once, the worst thing that could happen is the alternator has an internal failure and you end up having to buy the entire alternator anyway. I hope the regulator works out for you though.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:22 PM
2nd Gear

h much's an alternator

Old 09-10-2007, 09:25 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: a4BRZLowrider

h much's an alternator
Usually around $300 i think.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:25 PM
Site Moderator

Check out www.car-part.com . Most places have decent prices and shipping. Some also have warranties.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:25 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the suggestions.
auditech79, I wish I could replaced the alternator from the beginning. I tried (see link to my other post below). Here is what happened. After driving about 55 miles (to and from) the dealership, paying 125+tax (~$134) I installed the new converter assy. This did not do it! Something else must be going on with the alt. It only measured 4.26 volts of output at idle.
Almost makes me think 2 out of three coils in the armature are gone (13v/3=4.3v?).

So now I'm sitting on a voltage regulator that I cannot use. Here's what I did. If you check my other post:
( Alternator removal troubles ), you'll see why I opted to replace just the regulator - I had trouble removing the viscous fan clutch pulley.

Today (after the converter fiasco), my good neighbor came over and we have successfully removed the pulley which allowed me to remove the alternator. I already ordered a reconditioned one from local Napa for $194+tax+shipping=~$215 (shipping was from warehouse to them) with lifetime warranty and returning the core - not bad. So with the alternator out I can go and pick it up day after tomorrow. My neighbor and I were also able to easily remove the alternator pulley with compressed air gun (you need special tool otherwise).

Re-installation should be a piece of cake - about 30-40 min. work. So if anyone wants a brand new OEM VW/Audi voltage regulator, I will be willing to let it go at a slight loss at this point, may be $120, or its going on eBay.

Not a good week for me and my Audi, for sure!

Quick Reply: Looking for Valeo alternator voltage regulator assembly