Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Brake Pads indicator 2006 A4 2.0T

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 04:14 PM
Default Low Brake Pads indicator 2006 A4 2.0T

Hello there,

I'm new to the forum and hoping you guys can help me with a problem. I have a 2006 A4 2.0 T that I decided to get the brakes changed somewhere other than the dealer. Of course, the place I chose for whatever reason doesn't know how to reset the indicator for "low brake pads." Keep in mind now, that this isn't the same indicator that was illuminated when i brought the car in. That was just the red "BRAKES" light in the dash board. This is one of the yellow graphics that comes up in the center console (where the low fuel pump picture appears).

Now the idiot suggests I bring it to the dealer to have them reset this light, I already know that's going to cost money and therefore defeat the purpose of not going to the dealer in the first place for the brakes. (front and rear were replaced, by the way).

Anyone have any idea how to reset or otherwise deal with this. I look forward to your opinions.

Tony

Old 11-14-2007, 04:54 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Low Brake Pads indicator 2006 A4 2.0T

I may be wrong, but I thought the light reset itself. It may be possible that the shop that changed your brakes didnt use pads with the sensors on it. an easy way to check wuld be to look just above the caliper for the plug used by the pads. if there is an empty plug then the shop used the wrong pads.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:58 PM
Site Moderator

The pad wear indicatorlight should turn off anfter new pads are installed. If your new pads didnt come with a wear sensor, then that would explain it. Where did you get the pads?

Old 11-14-2007, 05:03 PM

ORIGINAL: M¥§T

I may be wrong, but I thought the light reset itself. It may be possible that the shop that changed your brakes didnt use pads with the sensors on it. an easy way to check wuld be to look just above the caliper for the plug used by the pads. if there is an empty plug then the shop used the wrong pads.
Interesting, well, he claims they put the sensor on, whatever that means. So I'm assuming its pads with a sensor. Is this something I can easily see with the wheel on to see if there is a wire hook to it. I look at the inside of the caliper?

I dunno, I assumed the guys at the shop knew what they were doing. They way I've kind of read is that the pads ofsensors built in, is this correct? So if he told me they 'replaced the sensor' could that even be accurate?

I have a friend/acquaintance who is an audi tech so maybe he will be able to help. Any further input you guys have is quite welcomed, glad I found this forum.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:06 PM
Site Moderator

The pad comes with the sensor in it. Like this:

Old 11-14-2007, 05:24 PM

I see. So there should be something like that on there and that wire plugs somewhere into my cars underside. And you're pretty sure the cars computer etc just recognizes that theres a new sensor and there's no magical audi trick reset that only the dealer knows about? Lol.

Tony

Old 11-14-2007, 06:39 PM
2nd Gear

if he said he replaced the sensor then he is full of it and doesnt know anything...

like the pic, the "sensor" just connects to the pad, when they wear low, it breaks the connection.. many people who use track pads that dont have sensors defeat this by making a loop of the connection which is what the sensor actually is.... there isnt a "temp" type sensor you can actually replace, its just a circut and when the pads get low, it breaks the circut causing the indicator...

oh and if your BRAKE light was what was on (red light like ebrake is on) that is because your brake fluid was low... the light in your MFA cluster is for the pads... sounds like he did something wrong

Old 11-14-2007, 06:47 PM
4th Gear

Cut the wires off the origonal worn pads. Short the wire ends and connect them.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:53 PM
1st Gear

If the wires aren't there I would go back to the shop that did your brakes and make them put on the correct ones. but thats just me.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:18 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: CRAZYHAWK

Cut the wires off the origonal worn pads. Short the wire ends and connect them.
Kind of defeats a purpose of having brake pads with a sensor, crazyhawks idea will work but what heppens when the brake pads get worn down again? this way the sensors give you a pretty good idea that its time to change them! If he paid for the correct parts and the shop charged him i would not give them another penny and they have to fix the problem. Because now its an issue that wasnt there in the begining, and after you got the car back the shop didnt do a proper installation!! I would go back there and tell them to fix it or demand your money back, if they didnt know how to do it properly than they shouldnt have taken the car and said they could do it!! F uckin vaulchers!! I hate mechanic shops like that! similar thing happened to me and I demanded the money back and they tried everything not to give it to me and wouldnt give it to me the cost of the bill was something like $190 so I took the flat screen monitor right of their desk that they used!! Put it in my car and they couldnt do anything because they stole from me and cant call the cops!!! than they gave me my money back and they got their stupid monitor back!

Quick Reply: Low Brake Pads indicator 2006 A4 2.0T